Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to iPad ICal opens IMac and ICal on Mac freezes

When updating or adding a new event in ICal on IPad2, the ICal on the IMac opens itself and freezes. Both are set to sync through ICloud. Any ideas as to what may be causing this and how to fix.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2 profiles; only occurs on one

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:43 PM

7 replies

Jun 19, 2012 6:55 AM in response to Deercrest

Deercrest,

Try removing the com.apple.iCal.plist file from your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences Folder. To find that Library folder, use Finder>Go Menu>Depress the "Option" key>Library. Drag the .plist file to your desktop, and log out/in or restart.

Next, make sure that you are not connected to the internet. Then go to your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars Folder and remove any files with "Cache" as a part of the file name. Use the same method as listed above to get to the correct Library Folder. Log out/in, or restart and check iCal for functionality.

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2012 6:23 AM in response to Ferd II

Tried above procedure, but did not correct the problem. In addition to the ical.plist file there is a file ical.plist.lockfile. Should this also be moved to the desktop during this procedure?

When doing this only logged off user it was affecting. Should we try a restart to see if this would make the change?

Any other thoughts?

Jun 20, 2012 7:30 AM in response to Deercrest

Deercrest,

Previously, when I have recommended this minor troubleshooting procedure, I have never seen the need to remove the ical.plist.lockfile. It would seem to me to also be a benign removal, but I have not tested the procedure.

Repeating the procedure and restarting would be advisable.

You could try logging out/in from the iCloud account.

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2012 8:46 AM in response to Ferd II

Ferd II,

I logged out of ICloud and logged back in and then repeated the previous procedure. When updating a calendare event either from iphone or ipad, the ICal on the iMac still opens itself, but at least now it is not frozen.

I guess we can live with it automatically opening ICal on the iMac, unless you have any other ideas.

Seems strange that this only happens in my husband's profile (which is not the primary profile on the IMac), but not on mine when I update from my phone. We have double checked his setting to mine on both Iphone's and they are the same. Could it be a setting on the Ipad that is causing this?

Thanks for all your help.🙂

Update to iPad ICal opens IMac and ICal on Mac freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.