Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 9:47 PM by dymar
dymar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have an HP LJ 3055 All-in-One.  Previously, I haven't used it connected to my Mac (i.e., only in 'standalone' mode).  I now want to use the unit's software for faxing and scanning purposes.

 

However, when I insert the CD that includes the HP All-in-One Installer, I see an error message saying:

 

"To open LaserJet AIO Installer, you need to install Rosetta.  Would you like to install it now?"

 

I assume this is related to the CD's having been produced contemporaneous with Tiger, not Snow Leopard -- though I have no idea why it's prompting about Rosetta, since this is a Macintosh installation CD.

 

Can anyone inform me what I need to do to install the software (i.e., to run the installer) under Snow Leopard, so that I can access the All-in-One's functions via the Mac?

 

Thanks.  Replies appreciated.


MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1.83 MHz
  • kostby Level 4 Level 4 (2,615 points)

    Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

     

    Installation instruction for Rosetta are found here:

    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6531

     

    Rosetta is an optional install that allows Intel microprocessor Macs (Macs built in 2006 and newer) to run programs originally created for PowerPC microprocessor Macs (basically Macs 1998-2005).

    OS X 10.6 'Snow Leopard' is the last version of OS X that will support Rosetta.

     

    Check to see if the driver downloads HP offers are newer than the ones on the install disc. The downloads are from early 2008, and specifically say they're for OS X 10.5 only.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en &cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=1161389&swItem=ma-58935-1&prodNameId=114078 0&swEnvOID=219&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

     

    If they don't work, it's probably time to invest in a newer all-in-one printer.

  • dymar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    kostby wrote:

     

    Check to see if the driver downloads HP offers are newer than the ones on the install disc. The downloads are from early 2008, and specifically say they're for OS X 10.5 only.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en &cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=1161389&swItem=ma-58935-1&prodNameId=11407 8 0&swEnvOID=219&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

     

    Thanks.  It wasn't (and still isn't) clear to my why I was getting the prompt about installing Rosetta.  While using the unit with Tiger, I never saw anything about a need for Rosetta (i.e., nothing indicating that any of the software on the CD was pre-Intel).

     

    Since posting I've called HP and a 'front desk' (not a 'tech') person directed me to the following webpage:

     

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us &prodNameId=1140780&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=1161389&swLang=8&taskId=135&sw EnvOID=219#7828

     

    Since there are a number of driver options (& I don't know which I need) his advice was just to download and install the 'Software Solutions' .dmg file, which I guess provides a comprehensive catch-all 'solution.'  (It's a 125 MB file -- should that really be necessary just to update drivers?)

     

    I'll try that and report back.

     

    Thanks for your reply.

  • X423424X Level 6 Level 6 (14,205 points)

    Since there are a number of driver options (& I don't know which I need)...

     

    You said you ahd a HP LJ 3055. On that page you referenced I see only two items for a 3055.

     

    HP LaserJet 3055 Printer Firmware Update Utility

    HP LaserJet 3052/3055 1200 dpi Scan Patch

     

    Not sure what you are referring to that's 125MB but given that size it would be somthing I would be leery about.

  • dymar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    kostby wrote:

     

    If they don't work, it's probably time to invest in a newer all-in-one printer.

     

    I guess you had it figured out.  The unit isn't supported for software control from the Mac under Snow Leopard.

     

    Printing continues to be available from the Mac but nothing else is supported via the computer.  Scan, fax and copy are available only directly from the unit.

     

    Funny that this can happen with a unit that continues to work perfectly well, without a hitch.  You'd think that OS upgrades would, if anything, enhance software control of a unit -- rather than eliminate it completely.

     

    Is there any reason to think that going the 'Rosetta' route would restore the lost functionality (in 10.6.8)?

     

    Thanks.

  • kostby Level 4 Level 4 (2,615 points)

    Responding to two of your posts here...

    Thanks.  It wasn't (and still isn't) clear to my why I was getting the prompt about installing Rosetta.  While using the unit with Tiger, I never saw anything about a need for Rosetta (i.e., nothing indicating that any of the software on the CD was pre-Intel).

     

    Printing continues to be available from the Mac but nothing else is supported via the computer.  Scan, fax and copy are available only directly from the unit.

     

    Funny that this can happen with a unit that continues to work perfectly well, without a hitch.  You'd think that OS upgrades would, if anything, enhance software control of a unit -- rather than eliminate it completely.

     

    Is there any reason to think that going the 'Rosetta' route would restore the lost functionality (in 10.6.8)?

     

    Thanks.

    The reason you were getting the prompt about installing Rosetta now is because Rosetta was automatically installed on OS X 'Tiger' 10.4 and 'Leopard' 10.5. HP didn't mention it as a requirement, because at the time, it was already there and invisible.

     

    Rosetta became an optional install on OS X 10.6, because (I presume) the number of programs and devices still using pre-2006 PowerPC code and thus needing Rosetta, was in steady decline. Why add extra clutter to (this is my guesstimate) 85% of the Macs running Snow Leopard that DO NOT need Rosetta?

     

    In my opinion, it cannot hurt to install Rosetta now.

    Only programs (your HP drivers) that REQUIRE Rosetta will even attempt to use it.

    The scan fax and copy functions don't work now with Snow Leopard, so at worst, they still won't work.

    You can always delete Rosetta again if you need the disk space.

     

    Message was edited by: kostby

  • dymar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    X423424X wrote:

     

    Since there are a number of driver options (& I don't know which I need)...

     

    You said you ahd a HP LJ 3055. On that page you referenced I see only two items for a 3055.

     

    HP LaserJet 3055 Printer Firmware Update Utility

    HP LaserJet 3052/3055 1200 dpi Scan Patch

     

    Not sure what you are referring to that's 125MB but given that size it would be somthing I would be leery about.

     

    That page displays the following downloads:  • Driver, • Firmware, • Patch and • Software-Solutions (plus option to Order Physical Media).

     

    I was referring to the last of the 'download' choices ("Software-Solutions), which was the file I downloaded (125.2 MB).  

  • dymar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    kostby wrote:

     

    Responding to two of your posts here...

    Thanks.  It wasn't (and still isn't) clear to my why I was getting the prompt about installing Rosetta.  While using the unit with Tiger, I never saw anything about a need for Rosetta (i.e., nothing indicating that any of the software on the CD was pre-Intel).

     

    Printing continues to be available from the Mac but nothing else is supported via the computer.  Scan, fax and copy are available only directly from the unit.

     

    Funny that this can happen with a unit that continues to work perfectly well, without a hitch.  You'd think that OS upgrades would, if anything, enhance software control of a unit -- rather than eliminate it completely.

     

    Is there any reason to think that going the 'Rosetta' route would restore the lost functionality (in 10.6.8)?

     

    Thanks.

    The reason you were getting the prompt about installing Rosetta now is because Rosetta was automatically installed on OS X 'Tiger' 10.4 and 'Leopard' 10.5. HP didn't mention it as a requirement, because at the time, it was already there and invisible.

     

    Rosetta became an optional install on OS X 10.6, because (I presume) the number of programs and devices still using pre-2006 PowerPC code and thus needing Rosetta, was in steady decline. Why add extra clutter to (this is my guesstimate) 85% of the Macs running Snow Leopard that DO NOT need Rosetta?

     

    In my opinion, it cannot hurt to install Rosetta now.

    Only programs (your HP drivers) that REQUIRE Rosetta will even attempt to use it.

    The scan fax and copy functions don't work now with Snow Leopard, so at worst, they still won't work.

    You can always delete Rosetta again if you need the disk space.

     

    Message was edited by: kostby

     

    If I correctly understand how Rosetta worked, it created an emulation environment in which certain software (including 'multifunction printer' drivers) would work, the implication being that these software products were not specifically written for the Mac OS.

     

    However, wouldn't those drivers still also have to be supported by the Mac's currently-installed OS in order to work -- as they were in Tiger and Leopard (but are not in Snow Leopard)?

  • R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (14,930 points)

    dymar wrote:

    If I correctly understand how Rosetta worked, it created an emulation environment in which certain software (including 'multifunction printer' drivers) would work, the implication being that these software products were not specifically written for the Mac OS.

    Like most emulators, Rosetta doesn't support low level hardware drivers or anything else that is dependent on specific hardware like a PPC CPU. So unless the drivers themselves are "universal" (include both PPC & Intel code), they won't work.

     

    Fortunately, most are either universal or the installer installs the appropriate version for the CPU type.

     

    The problem is most likely that the installer itself is written in PPC-only code. Thus, Rosetta is required to run it, even though what it installs can run without the help of emulation.

  • X423424X Level 6 Level 6 (14,205 points)

    dymar wrote:

     

    However, wouldn't those drivers still also have to be supported by the Mac's currently-installed OS in order to work -- as they were in Tiger and Leopard (but are not in Snow Leopard)?

     

    I just downloaded that driver install and the full install.  Although the driver appears to be encloded in their installer I sampled some of the other accompanying apps to see what architectures they support.  It was ppc and i386 only.  I don't know what kind of "driver" this is but if it is required to be 64-bit then that's a problem. 

     

    Also the documentation that accompanies those downloads says the software is only for 10.3 and 10.4.  I can't say if you can believe that or not because it wouldn't be the first time software is updated without updating the accompanying docs.

  • dymar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    R C-R wrote:

     

    dymar wrote:

    If I correctly understand how Rosetta worked, it created an emulation environment in which certain software (including 'multifunction printer' drivers) would work, the implication being that these software products were not specifically written for the Mac OS.

    Like most emulators, Rosetta doesn't support low level hardware drivers or anything else that is dependent on specific hardware like a PPC CPU. So unless the drivers themselves are "universal" (include both PPC & Intel code), they won't work.

     

    Fortunately, most are either universal or the installer installs the appropriate version for the CPU type.

     

    The problem is most likely that the installer itself is written in PPC-only code. Thus, Rosetta is required to run it, even though what it installs can run without the help of emulation.

     

    Thanks.  This is a bit over my head.  It seems like you're suggesting that the original drivers for the LJ 3055 were actually written for the pre-Intel Macs and that's why I was prompted to install Rosetta when I recently tried to use the original software installation CD (from HP) with Snow Leopard.

     

    I guess that's possible, because I don't think I ever tried to install the 'scan' (or 'fax') software for the LJ 3055 when I used Tiger (i.e., in order to control those functions from the Mac).  So maybe even with Tiger I would have needed Rosetta to get those options to work.

     

    As for my current predicament . . .

     

    Does Apple ever create its own drivers for devices when the OEM fails to do so?

     

    That is, is there any possibility of locating a driver at apple.com that will get the 'scan' function of the LJ 3055 to work?

  • R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (14,930 points)

     

    dymar wrote:

     

    It seems like you're suggesting that the original drivers for the LJ 3055 were actually written for the pre-Intel Macs and that's why I was prompted to install Rosetta when I recently tried to use the original software installation CD (from HP) with Snow Leopard.

     

    Not exactly. The Full Software Solutions package is a "Universal Binary," meaning that the software it installs should support both Power PC (pre-Intel) & Intel Macs. The description says, "It supports OS X 10.3, OS X 10.4 (Power PC and Intel Core)." There is also a "Release for Mac OS X 10.5" on the downloads page & its description says, "It supports OS 10.5x only (Power PC and Intel Core)." It looks like HP intended for 10.5 users to install first the  Full Software Solutions package & then the "Release for Mac OS X 10.5" to update the software for 10.5 compatibility.

     

    So the main issue is if any of this will support Snow Leopard (10.6). If HP support can't tell you that, the only way to find out is to install it & see. If, when you try to open the installer, it tells you that you need to install Rosetta, do that. (It can't hurt to have Rosetta installed.)

     

    It may be asking for Rosetta because the installer itself and/or some of the software other than the drivers in the full package are not universal & so must run under Rosetta emulation. (An installer is a program that installs various software. Don't confuse it with the software it installs.)

     

    Regarding Apple creating its own drivers for third party products, it doesn't do that. It often works with OEM's to adapt, update, & distribute their drivers with OS X, but the actual code is supplied by the OEM. Unfortunately, it is all too common that an OEM won't update the software for an older model, so I'm afraid that is a dead end for you.

  • dymar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    R C-R wrote:

     

    So the main issue is if any of this will support Snow Leopard (10.6). If HP support can't tell you that, the only way to find out is to install it & see. If, when you try to open the installer, it tells you that you need to install Rosetta, do that. (It can't hurt to have Rosetta installed.)

     

    It may be asking for Rosetta because the installer itself and/or some of the software other than the drivers in the full package are not universal & so must run under Rosetta emulation. (An installer is a program that installs various software. Don't confuse it with the software it installs.)

     

    Thanks.  I thought I'd found another solution - VueScan - but I then discovered that it provides drivers for the LJ 3055 only under Windows.

     

    It looks like I need to give Rosetta a try, as it appears to be my only hope.  However, before I do, is uninstalling Rosetta easy to do?  (I doubt I'll ever need it for anything else.)

     

    Just to clarify, an HP phone representative did claim that the LJ 3055 is not supported for 10.6 (Snow Leopard). However, I didn't think to raise the Rosetta option, and it's often not clear to me how much reps really know anyway (after all, one recently advised me to download a large file that turned out to be totally useless under Snow Leopard), so if it's possible that Rosetta will enable the unit's 'scan' function (via software control) for me, it's worth the attempt.

  • R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (14,930 points)

    However, before I do, is uninstalling Rosetta easy to do?

    No, it is not easy to uninstall. However, there is no reason to do that. It takes up very little space on your HD & in no way interferes with any software that doesn't require it.

  • James Sheppard Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Tried installing the universal binary with OS X.7.4 without success.  Does anyone else have any ideas?  Tried ExactScan 2 also without success.  I really do not want to have to purchase a new all-in-one when this one still does everything it is supposed to on my wife's PC, and is only messing up the scan/fax function on my mac.

Previous 1 2 Next