Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get mac os 10.7 back?

Hello,

I purchased a MacBook on Yahoo Japan Auction. It had mac os x 10.7 pre-installed. Today morning unfortunately my hard drive failed and I had to replace my hard drive. Is there any method to get my system back to Mac os 10.7 without paying extra? The os DVD set with my macbook is for mac os x 10.4. Is there any way to get my mac os 10.7 back?

Please help,

Regards,

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 5:11 AM

2 replies

Jun 19, 2012 12:55 PM in response to sibtaintarar

I believe the only way to get Lion back onto your laptop is to update to 10.6.8 (I think that's the right version of Snow Leopard), then open the App Store and download Lion from there.

I'm not sure how you would be able to update to SL's most recent update though; maybe it'll let you bypass all the other updates and skip straight to 10.6.8.

If all else fails, go to Apple and see about wiping it and reinstalling Snow Leopard?

Jun 19, 2012 8:28 PM in response to sibtaintarar

To make sure I understood correctly:

The Macbook had 10.7 on it when you bought it? And it originally had 10.4?

If so, then you will need to purchase Lion. The license for Lion purchased at the app store is not transferable; the seller should have erased the drive and reinstalled the original system. So, the easiest will be to purchase Snow Leopard, update it, and then go to the app store and purchase a legal copy of Lion. Each is $30 or less.

Can I get mac os 10.7 back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.