Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Parts of iPhoto Folder Can I Avoid Backing Up?

Hi,

I keep 2 backups of my iPhoto library, the first is at home and is a complete copy of the iPhoto package folder and the second is on a remote NAS. Because backing-up onto the NAS drive using Chronosync is such a slow process (becuase of the no of files, the internet speed at the other end and the volume of metadata being transferred) I want to exclude any unnecessary folders/files from the back-up.

I have already excluded the Faces folder and Thumbnails as I don't really use Faces and Thumbnails can be recreated easily. However, I notice that there is also a Version folder in Database folder which contains thousands of sub-folders and files. Does anyone know what this is used for and whether I can exclude it from my back-up?

Thanks

Russell

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 4:50 AM

If you exclude that then you're excluding the version or edit history. If you're going to do that then you might as well just back up the Originals only.

You could exclude the the iPod Photo Cache.

But it's worth noting that Apple would suggest that you need to back up the entire package, and failing to do so might lead to unexpected results when you restore.

Regards

TD

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2012 4:50 AM in response to Russ New Boy

If you exclude that then you're excluding the version or edit history. If you're going to do that then you might as well just back up the Originals only.

You could exclude the the iPod Photo Cache.

But it's worth noting that Apple would suggest that you need to back up the entire package, and failing to do so might lead to unexpected results when you restore.

Regards

TD

Jun 19, 2012 5:02 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks - good point. I would rather keep a fully working copy of the iPhoto library as they are organised into Events, etc. I was just trying to speed up the back-up process as the NAS drive doesn't seem that swift in handling all of the metadata from the thousands of files that apps like iPhoto and iTunes create.

I will exclude the iPod cache.

Do you know what the Bigblobs file is for as Chronosync (great prog by the way thanks for your earlier recommendation) keeps throwing up and error - cannot create symbolic link when trying to copy the file.

Which Parts of iPhoto Folder Can I Avoid Backing Up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.