Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture. Imported libraries, edited images corrupted!

All existing libraries (old and newer) imported into this latest version of Aperture appear corrupted - not all the images, only the ones round-tripped through photoshop and back. The images show up either as a blanket of messed up coloured lines (garbage) or a black screen with "image format not supported" error. All these images were originally imported in aperture and round-tripped back into aperture - Never touched by any other software and saved in .psd format.

Has anyone else run into this? Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I have hundreds of hours of editing tied up in the editing of these images and now they are all messed up! Older versions of aperture had no issues like this!

Please see attached screen grab

Thanks!

~CliffUser uploaded file

Mac mini (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:38 AM

8 replies

Jun 21, 2012 1:36 PM in response to 2wardlight

Yes, happened to me as well. About 10% of my versions affected. Thank god none of the masters were affected (how about yours?). I managed to fix some of them by generating thumnails (near bottom of Photos dropdown menu). I'm in the process of locating the remaing versions affected and creating new versions from originals and delting the messed up versions. Not the most elegant solution but it's the only thing I've found works so far.

Jun 21, 2012 1:54 PM in response to garage band guitar

A lot more than 10% for me unfortunately! The masters seem fine! I had just archived a bunch from my laptop a little while ago and thought that I could then transfer them to my mini easily - well one of Aperture's famous updates screwed that idea up!

Yeah I too am in the process of trying to re-edit etc. and save some of them. But soo much time already invested. I had one project, among so many, with over 200 pictures heavily edited for a particularly artsy project and not a single one renders properly! And worse, I posted tiny copies of them so people could review and now those that want them want what they saw - So now have to try and duplicate those exact edits! This program is getting far to useless!

Aperture WAS a good idea but it's costing me much than the organizational help it provides!

Sorry for the rant, hope you get your stuff sorted out!! And thanks for the thumbnail suggestion, tried that too!

Jul 6, 2012 7:08 PM in response to 2wardlight

I have this exact problem. Additionally, some of the images I had previously edited have had their Curves adjustment altered making the photo look horrible.

I went down the path of looking inside the Library package and deleting the Thumbnails folder. This forced Aperture to rebuild all thumbnails & it took 3 days. Unfortunately not all of them were fixed. But they are easily fixed easy enough by selecting it and clicking "Generate Thumbnails" from the Photos menu. Tedious but fixable.

The screwed up pictures are not so simple. I had to rebuild the library and once that was done, I have to select each affected picture in the Split View browser. Aperture re-renders the adjustments and fixes the photo. This is even more tedious process. I tried regenerating previews but this didn't fix it.

Aperture. Imported libraries, edited images corrupted!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.