Skip navigation

HT4213: iOS: Understanding Restrictions (parental controls)

Learn about iOS: Understanding Restrictions (parental controls)

HT4213 How can a parent block imessage?

1731 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2012 4:12 PM by cliftonfromrichmond RSS
egreene@apple Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 19, 2012 8:22 AM

How can a parent block imessage?

iPod touch
  • cliftonfromrichmond Level 3 Level 3 (790 points)
    Jun 19, 2012 10:01 AM (in response to egreene@apple)

I tried a couple of things using Restrictions and disallowing account changes, and I even turned iMessage off, but nothing worked.  The curx of the matter is, iMessage is linked to the user's Apple ID, so as long and the child has a valid ID, they can log into iMessage.  This would imply that the only way to "block" iMessage would be to remove the child's Apple account.

With that being said, if you are having issues with your child sending or recieving inappropriate messages, it might just be time to put your parent hat on and dole out some discipline. 

• danders3 Calculating status...
    Jun 30, 2012 9:07 AM (in response to egreene@apple)

That's the same frustration I'm having.  I don't understand why iMessage cannot be made subject to the same restriction as email, which prohibits the user from adding new accounts.  That would be the most elegant solution.

The inability to disable this IM feature has kept us from buying iPod products for two of our minor children, after a recurring iMessage problem with another, older sibling. I agree completely with the need for parenting and supervision. This isn't about abdicating our responsibility to be involved, but whether we can prudently give them their own iPods for (temporarily) unsupervised use.

Jun 30, 2012 9:49 AM (in response to danders3)

danders3 wrote:

That's the same frustration I'm having.  I don't understand why iMessage cannot be made subject to the same restriction as email, which prohibits the user from adding new accounts.  That would be the most elegant solution.

The inability to disable this IM feature has kept us from buying iPod products for two of our minor children, after a recurring iMessage problem with another, older sibling. I agree completely with the need for parenting and supervision. This isn't about abdicating our responsibility to be involved, but whether we can prudently give them their own iPods for (temporarily) unsupervised use.

Parent to Parent:  Ask yourself these questions:

1.  Is my child emotionally mature enough to deal with foul language?

2. Does my child trust me enough to tell me when some one is being a bully?

3. Does my child trust me enough to tell me when someone wants them to behave inappropriately?

4. Does my child respect me enough to always behave appropriately?

5. Is my child a bully?

6. Does my child use foul language?

7. Does my child seek out inappropriate content?

8. Do I trust my child?

If you answer NO to any one of those questions, then any sort of unsupervised electronic communication is not in your child's best interest.

FWIW, I have a 12 year old step-grandson who "lost" his iPod for the simple fact he can't be trusted...  But that's another story....

• danders3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 30, 2012 3:29 PM (in response to egreene@apple)

I'm still unclear why a simple, technical question seems a natural segue to unsolicited parenting advice from some folks.  I was only expressing technical dissapointment, and trying to explain how Apple could garner more customers by extending the features of the current Settings/Restrictions.

Really, we've got the parenting thing down (just ask our kids in college), and have no problem with staying involved and administering discipline.

I appreciate the wisdom of your good (and, frankly, obvious) points, cliftoninrichmond.  But this is an "Apple Support/iPod" forum, not the "Parent-to-parent" story forum.

Jun 30, 2012 4:12 PM (in response to danders3)

Dander23:

I agree that this is a technical forum and I also agree that as forum members we should refrain from going "off topic."

I must admit that my parent gene took over because IMNSHO there are just some things that technology cannot, and should not be allowed to do. By the same token, there are some things that we as parents must do to protect our children.

With that being said, would you have felt better if I had just said "NO," and left it at that?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.