Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to increase brightness beyond the default setting on MacBooks?

Just got the new MacBook Pro Retina, and I love it except for the fact that the overall brightness was decreased by 20-25%. A couple reviews talk about this noticeable reduction in brightness (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/130819-analyzing-the-macbook-pro-with-retin a-display), and I assume it has to do with the power consumption of the retina display.

That said, I've always thought the highest brightness in previous generation MacBooks was barely bright enough as it was, and now with this reduction in default brightness, I'm finding it hard to use. I know I may be in the minority thinking this, but I may have to return the machine if I can't find a workaround.

Is it possible to increase brightness beyond the default setting? Is there a command line setting that I can adjust? I'm well-aware of the battery trade-off this will have, but I don't care. I have to be able to see the screen.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 2:58 PM

3 replies

Jul 18, 2012 11:38 PM in response to calbryan

The 48 LEDs that illuminate the display can only do so much and the nature of the Retina causes it to let less light out than a display of lesser resolution. Get used to it or take it back for a regular Mac. Using a light colored background pattern or image may help a bit.

User uploaded file

Photo courtesy of IFixIt.com. They have real cool Retina teardowns.

Is there a way to increase brightness beyond the default setting on MacBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.