Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I backup all the photos on my iPhone to the cloud, then delete them from my phone to free up space?

Can I backup all the photos on my iPhone to the cloud, then delete them from my phone to free up space (but be able to restore them if I need them again?)

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 3:23 PM

Your photos will only be on iCloud for 30 days. I would sync to your computer instead so they stay there.

9 replies

Jun 19, 2012 6:24 PM in response to randers4

Thanx for the link...here's my problem. I built my windows pc and installed 2 hard drives...but the larger one isn't accessible right now...not sure why...but the solid state little one is full. This is a problem I need one of my kid's to help me address. I have a lot of photos 'cause my husbands into photography, we travel a lot, and somehow thousands of photos he took, plus ones I took, plus videos I took, ended up on my iPhone...and they are different in a lot of cases from the photos on the iPad that we share. I know I have 2 address this someday, bu don't have time right now...and I can't take any new photos or videos...or even add an app for that matter, until I free up some space on my iPhone. We've already taken two brief trips where I wanted to use my camera and couldn't...and I was looking for a quick way to address my picture taking ability...because we are leaving for another trip in a week, and another one right after that. This is probably way more info than you need...but there are probably duplicates...but until I go thru them I won't know. I could be wrong, but I thought when I backed up my photos to iCloud that all the photos in the photo app were backed up. Maybe I'm wrong and it's only those in the Photo Stream...in which case I should do something about that as well, 'cause I've upgraded our storage plan twice now...and it is getting pretty expensive...and I don't even know how to use it other than to do a complete restore when you get a new device which I just did recently because my son wanted our old iPad for a graduation present, and I kind of wanted the better camera on the new iPad, so I got one...and it took a week to retrieve everything from the cloud on our wi-fi! I hope this makes some sense to you, and appreciate any advice you have to share!

Jun 19, 2012 6:59 PM in response to vsajewel

The iPhone backup contains your camera roll photos but should never be relied on for something that irreplaceable. Also, the backup only contains camera roll photos. Besides, the only way you would later be able to access them would be to restore your phone to the entire backup, which will revert all settings and data on your phone to those contained in the backup, not just photos. If you don't have room on your hard drive to import and want to use a cloud service, at least until you get your hard drive working again, you may want to consider using Dropbox. I believe you get 2GB free but can purchase additional space on a month to month basis until you get your hard drive situation fixed. This would give you more permanent space to store all your photos (not subject to the 30 day limitation of iCloud), and there is a free app in the app store that will automatically upload your photos and videos. Another option of course is to purchase an inexpensive external usb drive to temporarily house your photos.

Jun 20, 2012 8:40 PM in response to randers4

Hi Again, I have a Dropbox acct but never used it...so this is a great suggestion and way for me to learn it too. I really appreciate your detailed info and wanted to thank you. I'm not used to posting Q's on forums so I hope I did this correctly for you to receive the proper credit...if I need to spdo something else please let me know. Thanx again!

Can I backup all the photos on my iPhone to the cloud, then delete them from my phone to free up space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.