Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reader: any way to increase the width?

I love Safari's Reader function...I just wish it took up a wider portion of the screen. Currently, the text itself, not including the margins of the "paper", takes up less than 50% of the screen width.

I know the answer is NO, but thought I'd ask anyway...

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 5:14 PM

8 replies

Jun 20, 2012 9:42 AM in response to Argelius

This was a little time consuming but not too difficult. Unless somebody knows of a better way you might like to try the following.

1. Go to /Applications/Safari.app/Contents with 'Go To Folder' - on Finder Go menu
  2. Put alias of Resources folder onto Desktop - highlight / cmd L and then drag
  3. Close Contents folder
  4. Double click alias and highlight Reader.html then hit cmd D to duplicate it as a backup
  5. Open original Reader.html with Safari and 'View as source'
  6. Select all (cmd A) and copy / paste into new TextEdit document
  7. Quit from Safari
  8. Copy and paste the following onto new lines just before </style>

/* The following modification increases width by 300px. */
#container { margin-left: -581px; width: 1162px }
#drop-shadow { width: 1100px }
#article { width: 1119px }
.article-fade { width: 1100px }
.page { width: 958px }

1. Save to Desktop as Reader.html
  2. Option drag Desktop version of Reader.html onto alias to replace original
  3. Start Safari and test

Good luck.

Jan 27, 2013 2:01 PM in response to Mateus109

The above works perfectly on Safari 6.0.x with the following tweaking:

1. The file in question was changed of location when safari was upgraded. It's new path is:

/System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/Safari.framework/Versions/A/Resources/R eader.html

2. Adding the changes just before the style declaration closes works because it will overwrite the defaults that are set previously in the file but more elegantly you can actually find those tags mentioned and manually replace the values yourself.

3. It won't suffice to refresh the window for the changes to take effect. You want to kill the thread and reopen it. You don't have to quit and reopen safari, it's enough to close the tab and open it again and you'll be set 😉

ENJOY!

PS: I actually grew it 600px and it looks beautiful in my 27 inch screen

Mar 26, 2013 2:02 PM in response to wotan07

Thanks, Neville Hillyer and Wotan07. Works great, and I use Neville´s original number values on my 27" screen, they´re just perfect.

I did not need any juggling with aliases.

This is definitely better than CustomReader II, nearer to a real book. I just hope Apple´s updates on Safari do not destroy my mods.

Reader: any way to increase the width?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.