Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased Aperature before the APP Store, how can I get the App store to recognize me as an owner of Aperture, I purchased Aperature before the APP Store, how can I get the App store to recognize me as an owner of Aperture

I purchased Aperature before the APP Store, how can I get the App store to recognize me as an owner of Aperture?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 5:21 PM

11 replies

Jun 20, 2012 8:43 AM in response to karen from san juan

In answer to Frank too, this is useful as the App Store licence on the same Apple ID allows installation on more than one machine. I too purchased Aperture before the advent of the App Store. In fact I purchased Aperture2 and have since bought the CD upgrades so all in all has probably cost in the region of £200. Annoyance is that had I now just spent about a quarter of that I could install it on my Macbook as well as my iMac at home from the App Store as they both use the same Apple ID.

As for Software Update to App Store- it's a bit of a pain. Software Update just downloads in the background with ease whereas App Store requires effort and ties things up a little, particularly with very large software (recent iPhoto and iMove upgrades for example via App Store on my iMac which required an open App Store window for a few hours).

Jun 20, 2012 10:18 AM in response to dsderby

Not sure even if you were able to have the App Store recognize your install of Aperture whether that would change the terms of the original license you bought Aperture under.

But with the approach of ML and the possible release of a version 4 of Aperture this will all be moot. Aperture 4 will only be available from the App Store so we'll all be going that route soon.

I agree with you on the update procedures. I don't have the App Store icon in my dock so to see if I have updates I have to open the application. Must easier and cleaner with software update.

regards

Jun 21, 2012 1:46 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Not sure even if you were able to have the App Store recognize your install of Aperture whether that would change the terms of the original license you bought Aperture under.

I've looked at the "fine print" and it says something to the effect that aside from the ToS for the store, the SLA for the particular app still applies. That leads me to believe that you are correct: whatever terms applied when you purchased it still do.

The difference I see is that with a CD, I can reinstall on a new computer or if a wipe is necessary. If I had purchased it from the app store and they had (in the meantime) started to offer v.4, I'd be up a creek unless I had a backup. App store purchases are only available for redownload for as long as they offer the product - once a new version is available you will need to buy that or find your backup. That, in my humble opinion, is one reason for the price difference.

Aug 5, 2013 10:30 AM in response to karen from san juan

There are two reasons that I want Aperture to be a purchased item in my App Store. First, because when the App Store was announced, we previous owners were told that if our copies of Aperture were registered with Apple, and mine is, the App Store would automatically give old owner credit for the purchase on the App Store. The same goes for any registered Apple software. Second, I have a new MacBook Air arriving soon and my CDs are worthless with the Air. I realize that I can work through another Apple Computer to use its CD player but I shouldn't have to do that. I should be able to install Aperture on my new Air simply by downloading it from my purchased software on the Cloud.

Aug 5, 2013 10:39 AM in response to ruffalo

To install Aperture on your new MBA download again the Trial Installer:

(Aperture 3.1 Trial)

After running the installer, don't launch Aperture directly - it will install an older version Aperture 3.1.2. and not be able to open your current Aperture library. Run software update from the -menu first to get back to Aperture 3.4, and then launch it and open your Aperture library.

Aug 5, 2013 10:48 AM in response to ruffalo

"There are two reasons that I want Aperture to be a purchased item in my App Store. First, because when the App Store was announced, we previous owners were told that if our copies of Aperture were registered with Apple, and mine is, the App Store would automatically give old owner credit for the purchase on the App Store. The same goes for any registered Apple software."

WHAT?

Maybe that's what you wanted to be the case, but you weren't told that. Go back and find where you were told that, because it's not true.

Aug 5, 2013 4:44 PM in response to ruffalo

There are two reasons that I want Aperture to be a purchased item in my App Store. First, because when the App Store was announced, we previous owners were told that if our copies of Aperture were registered with Apple, and mine is, the App Store would automatically give old owner credit for the purchase on the App Store. The same goes for any registered Apple software.

I never heard that either and am one who purchased AP2 and AP3 upgrade in succession. I eventually just purchased the MAS version so it would be a much easier and faster install / backup.

FWIW, you can also use the terminal commands to show hidden files and folders in Finder and then insert your AP3 disc in your current machines optical drive. This will allow you to copy over all the files (many of which are hidden) to a folder on your desktop.

You can then copy that folder to an external drive for backup and also use it to install (just run the installer package from inside the folder and it will install the same). I did this for a while before going to the MAS and just purchasing that version. Note - just make sure you have your serial number(s) in say a text file in the folder as well to copy and paste when needed during install. 😉

I purchased Aperature before the APP Store, how can I get the App store to recognize me as an owner of Aperture, I purchased Aperature before the APP Store, how can I get the App store to recognize me as an owner of Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.