Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re OS x v10.5 or earlier. This article still does not answer my question. Is the malware still active after I disable Java?

I have a PowerBook G4 that I would like to use exclusively for my online banking. It may be infected with the Flashback malware virus. If I disable Java, will this effectively block the malware? Or must I completely remove the malware from my computer?

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:53 PM

You need to remove the malware. Java is only used to inject the code.

I didn't think the flashback stuff was for G4's.

But if it was, first look in your ~/Library/LaunchAgents since that was one of the more common injection points (not the only one).

Look here for a cookbook of some other places to look.

3 replies

Jun 20, 2012 12:50 PM in response to icarus7

icarus7 wrote:

I have a PowerBook G4 that I would like to use exclusively for my online banking. It may be infected with the Flashback malware virus.

All of the sample Flashback code I have is Intel only. Not only will it not run on your G4 I have been unable to get any variant to install on a PPC Mac.

Disabling Java is still a smart move as somebody else may decide it's worth the effort to try using it to get into a PPC Mac.

Re OS x v10.5 or earlier. This article still does not answer my question. Is the malware still active after I disable Java?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.