9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2012 10:55 AM by Ralph Johns (UK)
comics_addict Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

Is it just me or as the syncing between devices using the Messages app? Noticed today when I was chatting with a contact on the beta version on my Mac but the only time it would display a heads-up on either my iPhone or iPad was when I was in full screen on another app. Lucky fluke or what?

PS: Also have to say it was very "random" which iOS device displayed a message alert (meaning, if the iPad displayed a message the iphone/mac didn't and vice-versa but it's not like I was personally using it but in standby so take it for what you will).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 13" Mid-2010
  • kbtrost Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same issue, and have been for about a week.

• comics_addict Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

Is it working to a satisfactory level? 'Cause due to the unpredictability of the sync between devices I can't tell if its a welcome improvement or a hiccup. Don't use Messages all that often since have few contacts with Apple devices.

• Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (69,535 points)

Hi,

The Messages Beta has been pulled from being a download.

It is in fact somewhat time limited as it will fail to work after Mountain Lion comes out.

The Final version of Messages is likely to include some changes from the Messages beta.

The ability to control the "History" that pops up when starting either an iMessage or a Buddy Chat (iChat Style) are things that have been requested.

Also the Beta automatically saves Transcripts (which was an option in iChat) and this may change as well.

As Apple sort those things out on their server that sends and Sync's iMessages it seems there is some fall out for the Message Beta.

At this stage I would remove the Apple ID involved from the Messages Beta (Turn the account Off) and the iOS device and then re-add it to confirm with the servers that this is still the connection and sync that is wanted.

9:09 PM      Wednesday; June 20, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sorry for being a little wet behind the ears on Macs but can you explain that in simpler terms? Thanks

Hi,

In Messages Beta what is displayed in the "History" of a conversation is based on what has been synced to that device or app.

Historically iChat could Save Transcripts and placed them in a folder called iChats in the Documents Folder.

In Messages Beta this is done automatically with no intervention by the Users.

This also happens for iMessages as well as for iChat style chats via Buddy Lists.

Messages also stores some details about iMessage chats in ~/Library/Messages which you can only see when you use the Finder > Go Menu and hold the ALT key to access the Library.

Whilst the "Best" syncing can be achieved by clearing all Messages held on the iPhone or iPad prior to adding the Apple ID to be used and changing the Settings > Messages > Received At > Caller ID to the Apple ID it is then obvious that the User has little input when the sync does not work properly.  (there is little if anything they can change on the iOS or Message Beta that will influence this)

Currently in the beta you can clear the chat window but any further chats with a contact or Buddy that you have spoken to before fill in the Chat window with a "History"

With iMessages these go back to the first chat with that Contact after Messages was Installed and Activated to the Apple ID.

Most people that posted about this seemed to indicate that they did not like it.

As iChat Saved Transcripts only at the User's request before it would seem for the full Mountain Lion one that some control is likely to return.

Some of this will be based on what is synced and how long it is kept ready for syncing to devices that happen to be Off Line.

People have also reported delayed iMessages and Syncing issue around switching devices mid conversation and having the beta try to fill in a "history" at the same time.

These are likely to get resolved in the full version but it is also likely to take some changes at the server end.

For instance someone may send you a pic on an iMessage that you pick up on your iPhone

You might want to keep the pic but would rather do so on your Mac.

At present the working assumption by Apple appears to be that all iOS devices and Messages Beta are on at the same time.

Not everyone works like this and many turn their Computer Off when they are away from it for long periods.

This can lead to syncing issues with the beta as iMessages can then get mixed up.

There is also no proper Off Line IM process at present to cope with the way people actually use their devices.

If Messages Beta is not working properly one thing that could be done (Can be done if you kept the .dmg) is to Uninstall back to iChat and then Reinstall.

As the Download has been withdrawn this option is no longer available.

Although we cannot be certain exactly how Apple will change Messages in the full release the experience of what has been changed over the years and what happened with the iChat 2 beta do point to the things that people have been shouting loudly about are the things that get changed.

AS these centre around Syncing, iMessages and the "History" showing up and much of this is Server end led then changes are likely to take place before  the Full release.

Hence we may experience issues with Messages beta in these areas.

As we cannot change anything in the apps themselves that may improve things trying to re-establish the link to a specific Apple ID may be the best we can try.

9:50 PM      Wednesday; June 20, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Thanks for the explicit reply. Sorry about that. New to the iOS/Mac sync landscape...

Hi,

No problem.

I have been messing with iChat since 2004 when Defcom helped me get going (I had a router issue)

Since then I have spent most days here gathering info and answering questions about what it will and will not do.

Message beta is listed as being Version 6.1 already (iChat in Lion got to version 6.0.1 in OS 10.7.4)

It still uses all of the iChat .plists (Preferences files needed to hold some info on the app) as well as creating a few of it's own.

With such a long period of study you tend to get a good overview of what is likely to be coming somewhat based on the changes over the past few versions.

In this case it seems there is nowhere for the user to move on this and only a couple of Possibles that could be tried.

Thanks for the Points

7:51 PM      Thursday; June 21, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

• pixelp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I uninstalled Messages on my MacBook Pro a few days ago because of syncing issues. Being a laptop, it often spends a portion of the day sleeping or in locations where it can't get online, while my iPhone 4S is always on and is always connected. I would expect that this might cause some difficulties with the Mac staying in sync.

What I have experienced is that occasionally my laptop will get messages (replies in the same session) that my phone does not get. This is the opposite of what I would expect, since the laptop is not as consistently available), and sems to be the opposite of what some other people are experiencing. I primarily exchange messages with one person. We both have iPhone 4Ss and we both use our Apple ID email addresses. After missing a couple of important messages on my phone, I removed Messages from my MacBook. This seems to have fixed the problem and I no longer seem to be missing any messages on my phone.

I would not have been so bothered by my Mac occasionally being out-of-sync, but it's not acceptable that Messages on the Mac should occasionally cause the phone to lose messages. 

I had one very interesting experience. I saw a reply from my friend pop up in Messages on my Mac, then after two or three seconds her reply vanished and never came back. Ir was barely there long enough to read. However, that reply did show up on my phone.

Just a couple of interface comments—as others have mentioned, I find the flush-right alignment of outgoing messages annoying. Also, in IOS 5 it's possible to type a return in a message to start a new paragraph, while in Messages there does not appear to be a way to create a paragraph break.

HI,

This one I can help with:-

... Also, in iOS 5 it's possible to type a return in a message to start a new paragraph, while in Messages there does not appear to be a way to create a paragraph break.

In Messages beta or iChat Hold the ALT key down whilst using the Return/Enter key.

This adds a Link Break to the Text you are typing.

If this bit is in Messages beta:-

Just a couple of interface comments—as others have mentioned, I find the flush-right alignment of outgoing messages annoying

If you  are not worried about the Balloons you  can change the style used in the View Menu > Messages.

In Compact and Boxes in Messages Beta the style places both you and the Contact or Buddy on the left and justifies to that side.

6:55 PM      Saturday; June 23, 2012

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.4)
     Mac OS X (10.7.4),