Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime Camera Images Look Poor on New Macbook Pro Retina Models

I received my new 2012 Macbook Pro Retina display model yesterday. When doing Facetime last night, others on the other end were commenting how poor the image coming from my end looked. Then I tried it on my iphone 4S and it was amazing how much better the picture of me looked on the phone versus the macbook. Today, I went to the Apple store to compare my new computer to the Retina display models on the display. Their camera images honestly didn't look much better than what I have on mine (but for example, the new Macbook Air's images look much more realistic). Why is this? How can the HD Facetime camera in the Macbook Pro produce less realistic images than the lower resolution iPhone 4S or Ipad cameras? Any help or insight you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 8:35 PM

118 replies

May 14, 2017 7:45 PM in response to iamsly_

am sorry mate but this explanation doesn't hold water.

You are sort of correct but, your understanding of resolution, pixel count and how images are resolved on screens is slightly off. I also think most people are referring to noise, not pixelation. Pixelation of a video will, generally speaking, become an issue when you try to play a low res video on a large screen not a high pixel count ( High Res ) screen. Trying to play a 480p or 720p or even a compressed 1080p image on an 55" +++ screen is bound to tear the image apart and make those pixels very, very visible. In those instances you get pixelation or what is actually referred to as 'artifacting'.

Here is where your theory falls apart: If you have 2 x 15 inch screens, 1 with a native res of 720p and the other lets say is a Retina. and we want to play a 720 video at it actual size pixel for pixel. On the 720 screen of course it will play full screen and on the retina it will play much smaller as the screens pixel size is much smaller. Now if we ask the retina to play full screen the retina simply allocates any given number of it's pixels to everyone of the 720p pixels to enable it to match the 720p screen. if there is any aliasing between pixels on a retina it would be soooooooo minimal you would hardly notice it.

Also i know i'm 4 years late to the party but, i must call out your retina camera line as being impossible, as they are now running 4K res in iPhones so that shouldn't be an issue at all

Finally your SD/HD Comparison. Most Standard def stuff up until not so long ago was shot interlaced not progressive so yep it looks like a dogs breakfast if played on a Progressive HD TV.

Now I stumbled across this because I have a 2013 27 iMac playing back 720p images off my iPhone looks sweet but the bloody Facetime HD camera in this this is a turd. Its noise as all **** and slightly soft as well.

Jun 20, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Jason1975

Jason1975 wrote: ... Today, I went to the Apple store to compare my new computer to the Retina display models on the display. Their camera images honestly didn't look much better than what I have on mine (but for example, the new Macbook Air's images look much more realistic). Why is this? How can the HD Facetime camera in the Macbook Pro produce less realistic images than the lower resolution iPhone 4S or Ipad cameras? ...

Those are really great questions for the people at the Apple Store you visited.

The Apple Store people should be able to answer those and any other questions you have. The Apple Store answers based on actual examination of your new Mac will be much less hypothetical than the guesses we could offer here based on our interpretation of your posted facts and our individual interpretations of how good is "better" or "realistic."

If you did not already ask the Apple Store people, take your new Mac back there and ask them. You'll get the best answers at the Store.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Jun 20, 2012 12:54 PM in response to EZ Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I did talk with the "geniuses" at the Apple Store when I was there yesterday. They were not really able to provide an explanation for why the video quality was different on the Retina Macbook Pro versus say an iPhone or a MacBook Air. There is definitely a difference between what was seen on the MacBook Pro Retina models on display and what the other sources I mentioned were displaying. Perhaps it has to do with the new display and software that isn't updated yet. I would suggest Apple take a closer look at the potential widespread issue though.

The Apple Store was very nice today to replace my computer with a new one to see if that corrected the camera issue. I haven't had a chance today to set it up and see if the new one's camera is any better. If it is, I will definitely report back. I just don't have a lot of hope since several of the Retina models on display had the same poorer quality video.

Thanks again!
Jason

Jun 20, 2012 4:29 PM in response to Jason1975

You're welcome.

Jason1975 wrote: ... I would suggest Apple take a closer look at the potential widespread issue though...

You can send feedback directly to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

You will not get a response, but you can be certain that the responsible Apple people will see your input for consideration in future product development.

Jason1975 wrote: ... I will definitely report back...

We will watch for your status update.

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Jun 21, 2012 4:22 AM in response to kayjh

Unfortunately, the new laptop has the same issue... a very gray shade to the colors on the camera. I tried both Skype and the Photo Booth application and they have the same problem. I am not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but there is definitely a difference in image quality from lower grade cameras on the iphone and ipad. I suspect as these computers get into more massive circulation, there will be more reports about this. For anyone who has used the camera for video conferencing in the past on other devices, they will notice a difference.

If I discover anything new, I will report back. If anyone else has any new info, please let me know.

Thanks!
Jason

Jun 21, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Jason1975

I'm having the same problem. The video is terrible no matter what program I use. I've also noticed that depending on the angle of the screen I get those lens flare glares. None of my other MBP's had that issue. I hope its just a correctable software issue and not a part problem. I'm also having trouble with external HD not reading on this new retnia MBP.

I'll be keeping up with this thread. Thanks for posting. Good luck to all.

Jun 21, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Jason1975

Thanks for the update, Jason.

Jason1975 wrote: ... There is definitely a difference between what was seen on the MacBook Pro Retina models on display and what the other sources I mentioned were displaying. Perhaps it has to do with the new display and software that isn't updated yet...

.... Unfortunately, the new laptop has the same issue...

Of course what is seen on Retina versus non-Retina display will be different. That is a different issue from the video quality your video contacts experience. However, the fact that you see the same problems at your home on a second new Mac means you will need to do some more extensive troubleshooting involving another trip to the Apple Store.

Rather than merely looking at displays of the live camera, I suggest you compare how the FaceTime video looks when received on your iPhone while in the Apple Store. If necessary, you should test your new Mac plus some of the Store models, too. Taking your new Mac & iPhone back the the Apple Store and connecting there will have the added benefit of eliminating possible internet connection issues at your location.

At the Store, you can compare how your new Mac's video transmissions (iChat, FaceTime, etc.) and video from some Store display cameras look on your iPhone as a receiving device. If all are "bad" on your iPhone, you can also compare video transmissions received on one of the Store's devices to be sure it sees the same video problem as your iPhone.

While connected via wi-fi in the Apple Store, if the FaceTime video transmissions from your new Retina MacBook Pro (RMBP) to your iPhone is lower quality from that of the Apple Store's RMBP FaceTime to your iPhone, it seems to me that the Geniuses should determine whether your new RMBP needs service or (highly unlikely) is a second "bad" Mac that should be exchanged for a RMBP that works properly. This time, test the fix BEFORE you take it home again.

If, every RMBP you test in the Apple Store looks worse than the video sent from all other devices, you are most likely correct that some software needs to be updated for video quality.

All this testing may take some time, so plan ahead. Perhaps you want to make a Genius appointment. However, although the Geniuses were unable to give a definitive answer other than swapping RMBPs during your last visit, they may have since found an official answer to your questions.

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Jun 21, 2012 5:39 PM in response to EZ Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your additional reply. I appreciate the suggestions you made, but I don't believe the Apple Store here in Cincinnati is going to want to spend the time required to help me try out all the things you suggested. The place is extremely busy all the time and even if we do all the trouble shooting, I still don't know at our level a solution can be determined. If the store is willing to work with me on this, I'd be happy to help out, but I would need them to initiate the effort. I think this is an issue Apple engineers need to look further into and since it seems to be affecting more than just my computer, it is probably worth doing. Honestly, lining up all the new Retina MBP's at the store versus let's say the Macbook Air's and running Photo Booth is enough to see what I am talking about. The difference in color clarity is very clear, no pun intended. 🙂

On a positive note, someone from Apple did contact me today and asked me some questions about the problem with the camera and said they were going to request that the laptop I returned to the store be sent to them for diagnosing. At least Apple seems to be acting proactively. That is a positive sign.

Thanks again!
Jason

Jul 27, 2012 1:23 PM in response to Jason1975

Just got my RMBP 2 days ago and sadly I have this grayish blue tint when using facetime or photo booth. looks weird, it's as if the camera has some filter on it. Compared it with my early 2011 15" MBP, my old one took better video and photos. Tried facetime using RMBP to my iPhone, the video looked like it did have a tint, tried facetime on the 2011 MBP to my iPhone, the video was better, colors were better.

Sigh.... Such a superb machine with an issue like this.... The store said they will let me choose between the one I have now with the stocks that they will have in 2 weeks. So let's see if the other units are better.... If they are, I'll just have to go through the hassle of transfering everything, if not.. so dismaying... Hope there is a fix.

FaceTime Camera Images Look Poor on New Macbook Pro Retina Models

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.