Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'No Entry' symbol on startup - repeating problem

Hi.

A family member bought a used iMac (roughly 3 years old) and about 2 weeks after setting it up it started failing to start up and after 5 mins or so would give the grey screen with the no entry symbol. Googling the symbol gave me a few things to try, based on the theory that system files were missing/modified, with the last option being a fresh install.

So - one fresh Snow Leopard install later and we're full steam ahead again - for about 3 weeks.

And it's done it again. On neither occassion has the mac been used in a way that should compromise the system files. It's literally only been used to check emails and use safari for trustworthy sites.

What could be the problem. It has a limited hardware warranty but given that it run faultlessly for 3 weeks suggests it's still a software problem.

Any ideas or advice hugely appreciated.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 3:59 AM

2 replies

Jun 20, 2012 4:18 AM in response to Cal T

Hi..

The limited warranty is only good for one year after the original purchase.

one fresh Snow Leopard install later and we're full steam ahead again

And try booting in Safe Mode as suggested here > Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

If nothing from that support link helped, you may need to repair the startup disk. If so, you need to use the install discs that came with the iMac.

Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

edited by: cs

Jun 20, 2012 4:33 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks Carolyn.

The warranty is for the 'refurbished' unit from a local reseller so is still valid. But hardware based.

I haven't tried the safe boot this time around (haven't really tried much at all yet) but will do so.

Last time it did not work though.

Of further complication is the original discs were not included with the purchase. The fresh install I did 3 weeks back was done remotely by connecting to another mac via firewire. Interestingly I could see the HD of the iMac that wouldn't start via that firewire connection and verification was fine, no repair options available.

Thanks a lot

'No Entry' symbol on startup - repeating problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.