Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory upgrade for mid 2011 iMac

Hopefully I can resolve my questions as I've been getting conflicting info. I want to upgrade to the max memory and need to know how much and what type of memory sticks I need. Also, a recommendation of where to buy it would be helpful.

Memory installed is:

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

System report:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac12,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F

SMC Version (system): 1.72f2

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.7GHz Quad, Core I5, 2x4GB

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:17 AM

Here is the info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4621

Hope this helps 🙂

6 replies

Jun 20, 2012 4:47 AM in response to Radiation Mac

I actually saw that, but thanks. I also think I figured out my confusion as far as maximum memory. It appears it is 32GB but there are no 8GB sticks available yet. I wonder if this will be available soon and also if faster memory will be made available. But I digress - I'm also looking for the best brand. Crucial? OWC? Kingston? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2012 7:46 AM in response to gsusser

There are a lot of mixed feelings about this since OWC offers higher memory on several Apple machines than Apple officially supports. Plus they guarantee the memory and will take it back if there are problems. The down side is if you need warranty service you have to replace the memory with the original to get Apple to service the machine.

This becomes a matter of call for the user, do you go beyond the stated limit or not? What is your comfort level?

Memory upgrade for mid 2011 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.