Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

has anyone dealt with a possible virus called Flashback?

has anyone had trouble with pages taking a long time to open ( tried cleaning my cache ) and programs just suddenly shutting down while you are using them? also had itunes start popping up and down in the dock and a message saying my itunes purchase could not be completed as the connection had been lost - BUT I HAD NOT been making any purchases...!

googled viruses on a mac and got a bunch of info on Flashback-- wonderng if that is my issue- the article from WIRED online said to go to a web site (kasenskys?) and follow the commands and it would check to see if you have it then give you ways to clean it.. for free I think.

anyone else dealing with this??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 20, 2012 12:43 PM in response to herbalanswers

herbalanswers wrote:

has anyone had trouble with pages taking a long time to open ( tried cleaning my cache ) and programs just suddenly shutting down while you are using them? also had itunes start popping up and down in the dock and a message saying my itunes purchase could not be completed as the connection had been lost - BUT I HAD NOT been making any purchases...!

googled viruses on a mac and got a bunch of info on Flashback-- wonderng if that is my issue- the article from WIRED online said to go to a web site (kasenskys?) and follow the commands and it would check to see if you have it then give you ways to clean it.. for free I think.

anyone else dealing with this??

Hundreds of thousands of folks, actually, but the symptoms you have don't sound like Flashback which simply redirects your browser to ad sites.

Try turning off IPv6:

Select  ▹ System Preferences ▹ Network ▹ Airport ▹ Advanced ▹ TCP/IP ▹ Configure IPv6: Off.

Click "OK" and then the "Apply" buttons.

Jun 20, 2012 4:20 PM in response to herbalanswers

thank you laundry bleach I willlook at that page-- tho I DID end up using MacKeeper- hopefully it did something! cleaned off 1.2 GB of space anyway! And thank you MAD MAcs- I did what you said..not sure yet -- but the mac is running much smoother after all this attention. Can you tell me what shutting off configure IPv6 is ? I always wonder how that will affect what my computer does...? what does that DO when its ON???

thanks again-- I wil have to report back and clickon the helped me buttons when I see how it does.....

Jun 20, 2012 8:57 PM in response to herbalanswers

herbalanswers wrote:

Can you tell me what shutting off configure IPv6 is ? I always wonder how that will affect what my computer does...? what does that DO when its ON???

Today it allows you to visit a few test sites around the internet (e.g. http://www.ipvs.apple.com), but nothing other than that. That will eventually change when they truely run out of IPv4 IP addresses, which they have said for years would happen, but not today. I've had mine turned off for years with no ill effects.

What has changed is that in preparation for the day they have to issue IPv6 addresses to new sites, they established June 6th as Worldwide IPv6 day when ISP's were supposed to turn it on and some have. Most apparently have not or are still in the process of rolling it out which seems to have caused problems for many users over the past couple of weeks. Some of it is probably caused by modems and routers that are not IPv6 savy and must be replaced. Some of it is probably DNS sites that are not capable of interpreting IPv6 addresses. I have not seen a good analysis of what's wrong yet and Apple's troubleshooting guidance is still very thin. I've heard rumors that iTunes wasn't ready, that OS X 10.5.8 can't handle it, that the capability was initially removed from Airport Utility 6.0, etc. I turned mine all on for a few minutes, and everything slowed to a crawl.

So some day you will need to turn it back on in order to access every site you need, but until then I think it's best to avoid problems until things settle down.

If you want to see how things are going, go to this site http://test-ipv6.com/ with IPv6 on and off and perhaps it will help determine if you're ready or not.

has anyone dealt with a possible virus called Flashback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.