Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture library needs too much space?

Hi, tried to import my iPhoto library with 63 GB into Aperture. Aperture says it will need 313 GB. Is that normal?

Is there a difference between just opening my iPhoto library with Aperture or importing it?

Thanks for answers, greetings from Munich 🙂

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:31 AM

5 replies

Jun 20, 2012 10:46 AM in response to berndbu

Hi bernd,

I assume you have you upgraded to iPhoto 9.3 and Aperture 3.3?

Aperture says it will need 313 GB. Is that normal?

Unfortunately it has happened, but it is not normal 😉 There probably is something wrong with your libraries.

Is there a difference between just opening my iPhoto library with Aperture or importing it?

Yes, there is. when you are browsing an iPhoto Library from Aperture, the Aperture will not convert the library. But when you import it, then Aperture needs additional space to rebuild the iPhoto items as Aperture items, but not 5 times the size of the original library.

I would turn off anything that need additional space, like faces, previews, when importing. Also I would suggest to rebuild both libraries before uniting them with the Library First Aid tools.

Lauch Aperture with the ⌥⌘-keys hold down and rebuild the Aperture Library, and do the same with the iPhoto Library. (I assume your iPhoto Library already has been converted to 9.3 format?).

Back up both libraries, before you try the import.

Regards

Léonie

Jun 20, 2012 10:54 AM in response to William Lloyd

Note if you upgrade to iPHoto 9.3 and Aperture 3.3 there is no need to import at all. I would suggest you go that route, as they can then use the same library.

William, that certainly is true, but this way you will never be able to search all images at once - you cannot define smart albums and searches across separate libraries.

Therefore, one unified library containing all your images - if they are somewhat related - has its advantages; i would not give up this advantage needlessly.

Aperture library needs too much space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.