Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.3 and iPhoto 09 Library Merge

Ok. First, I think I really screwed this up. After taking advice from someone on how to go about splitting my 101GB iPhoto Library into multiple smaller libraries organized by year, I purchased Aperture for the purpose of splitting the iPhoto library into multiple libraries as well as for the photo enhancement capabilities.

My iPhoto 09 v8.1.2 library is 101GBs and resides on an external drive. I purchased and installed Aperture 3.x (where x is < than 3) and pointed Aperture at my iPhoto library. If I'm understanding this right, Aperture imported the database of photos, projects, and such but left the photos in the iPhoto library. Unbeknownst to me, the default location for my Aperture library was on the local drive in Pictures. I began importing photos from cameras that I thought were going into the iPhoto library rather than the local Aperture library; I didn't understand the way Aperture handles photo files before I began this undertaking. The local Aperture library grew to 26GBs very quickly. I moved it to the external drive and then the 3.3 update happened. Now, I am concerned about the path I started down.

Am I following good advice or not at this point? How do I combine these two libraries most efficiently? Can I just start exporting each of the different years in my iPhoto library to new smaller Aperture libraries? Do I need to upgrade the iPhoto library to v9.x first? I want to keep the photos in each smaller library rather than have them reference another library. Any help is appreciated.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 11:26 AM

There are no replies.

Aperture 3.3 and iPhoto 09 Library Merge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.