Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail, send attachment chooses folder instead of opening to choose file

Ugg! All of the sudden, Mac mail will no longer let me choose to attach a file. Instead it chooses the folder that the file is in, and totally hangs up mail due to the large size of the folder it is trying to attach to my message. What is wrong?

I choose the "compose new mail" button

I click the paperclip to attach a FILE.

It opens the window to choose a file, but when I click on a folder once - nothing happens (ie. it does not open the folder). If I click the folder twice (which used to open the folder to get to the files), mail attaches the WHOLE folder to the new mail.

????????????????????????

Frustrated....

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 12:56 AM

Hi Michelle,

Did you find a solution to this problem in the end? I've had the same issue for 2 weeks and have no idea why this has suddenly happened.

Clicking the folder to open it is a necessary short cut to attach a file - and everything else takes much, much longer. If anyone has any suggestions??

Thank you!

Alex

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2013 12:56 AM in response to michellefromsouthlake

Hi Michelle,

Did you find a solution to this problem in the end? I've had the same issue for 2 weeks and have no idea why this has suddenly happened.

Clicking the folder to open it is a necessary short cut to attach a file - and everything else takes much, much longer. If anyone has any suggestions??

Thank you!

Alex

May 20, 2013 4:59 PM in response to michellefromsouthlake

I figured it out. It depends on what view you have set for the folders. When you're in mail and you click the paperclip icon to attach a window opens where you see all your files. There are options along the top for how to view the files: icons, in a list, coverflow view, etc. Coverflow view is bad (4th from the left)! If you switch this over to be "list" view (second one from the left) you won't have this problem anymore. Attached is a screenshot with it set to list view (good)!

Alternative is to drag the file directly into the body of the message.User uploaded file

Sep 21, 2015 9:22 PM in response to michellefromsouthlake

Yes indeed - I had the same issue to. So frustrating and a waste of precious time when working on a deadline to submit my newsletter article.

Obviously, this behavior is completely wrong - Rarely would anyone attache a complete folder to their email, it should never be a default selection.

It's another quirk of Apple Mail - lots of features you'll never use, but something as basic as attaching a file is fraught with difficulty.

Mac mail, send attachment chooses folder instead of opening to choose file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.