Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Go to folder

I am a OS X 10.5.8 user and my 'Go to Folder' will not accept a file path. There is evidence from other discussions that more recent versions of OS X accept a file path and open its enclosing folder. Is this correct and if so which was the first OS which worked in this way?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 12:26 PM

14 replies

Jun 21, 2012 1:28 AM in response to X423424X

In the Safari forum two experienced users often advise putting the Safari database file into Go to Folder - sometimes with option key pressed. I have questioned this several times and been assured that it is correct so I assume it works with Lion. I understand that it is intended to open the parent folder with the database highlighted. Can somebody with Lion check this please?

Jun 21, 2012 1:56 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

In the Safari forum two experienced users often advise putting the Safari database file into Go to Folder - sometimes with option key pressed.

To what end? Why would you want to do that? There's nothing of user intrest in there.

If you want a shortcut to get quick access to a folder then drag the folder into the dock or put the alias in some other convenient place.

Jun 21, 2012 2:37 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

You need a short cut to get there? How often do you want to do that?

And yes, I don't blame them for being reluctant. Unless you are told exactly what to (usually) copy/paste a user not familiar with the terminal could easily wipe out their entire system with a incorrectly typed rm. And it is unnecessary in this case anyhow since you can use that Go to Folder to easily get in there if you wish. Then drag the file into the trash.

Go to folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.