Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create Scrolling Marquee in Menu Bar?

Hi,

I'm not really a programmer, but tinker from time to time with xcode.

I was wondering how simple (or possible?) to create a scrolling marquee type applet (similar to a stock ticker) to show in the empty space in the menu bar? (see image)

It would simply call from a user defined text file (or xml file?) with phrases and quotes, and continually (or randomly?) cycle through the list.

Maybe I don't have the skills for this, and maybe something is already out there - but I couldn't find anything that worked. I've read that there is no way to access that other than with an icon, as it is reserved by Apple.

Alternatively, if someone out there would like to attempt this and release it freely to the community as CC/FOSS, that would be cool 🙂

User uploaded file

I'm running 10.5.8 on a Macbook Pro (early 2008) and my wife has a 2008 24" iMac also with leopard. I'm a student, with a super tight budget right now, so upgrading to SL or Lion isn't in our plans for the time being.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 1:05 PM

There are no replies.

Create Scrolling Marquee in Menu Bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.