Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro "Other" Category in Storage taking up too much space.

My Macbook Pro says that it has 300 GB taking up space in the 'other' category of the storage of my MACINTOSH HD. What can possibly take up 300 gb?? Is there a way that I can view the individual items that are taking up space in this 'other' category, or is there a way that I can erase them? My Macbook is always warning me that my "startup disk is almost full", because I do not have any remaining memory with 'other' taking up almost all of it. For this reason, my Macbook is running very slow at times, and is having many errors. Help me please? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 2:57 PM

2 replies

Jun 20, 2012 3:01 PM in response to g_rachel0925

Use a utility such as OmniDiskSweeper 1.7.2 to find what files are taking up so much space. If you happen to use Time Machine then you may have a lot of Time Machine snapshots on the drive. You might try the following:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed.

To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal

To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

OS X Lion- About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

MacBook Pro "Other" Category in Storage taking up too much space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.