Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open with on Ipad Fails

I have created a book in iBooks Author, it contains a video when opened, several photo galleries and text. The book is about 35.6MB in size. I have processed it in 'Share' and sent it by email to my iPad [original - first release - Australia]. On the iPad when you tap on the iBook icon for the email attachment to start the 'Open with' process it pops a message that it cannot open the file because it is to large 'or someting like that I cannot remember the exact words' . However if I connect the iPad to iTunes on my desktop and drag and drop the same file to my Book folder in iTunes then the book will sync with the iPad and on the iPad open and display the content without any issues. On the iPad there is more than enough storage space [49GB available] to accommodate the 35MB file. Perhaps Apple have sent a file size limit to ensure that there is enough memory available on the iPad to process the file. Perhaps this limit if it exists is set to low or in someway corrupt.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 3:31 PM

12 replies

Jun 20, 2012 4:17 PM in response to K T

Thanks for the direction to FAQ and I am familar with the terms and conditions of use when it comes to the distribution of an iBook where it has been compiled using iBooks Author. Having said that if I was to develop the ebook : epub in Adobe I am not sure that any of Apples terms and conditions would be applicable if I was to distribute and charge for the book using anyother method of distribution thereby avoiding iTunes. I was unable to find any FAQ which deals with the 'Open with' issue that I have.

Jun 20, 2012 4:42 PM in response to adnixon

Your content is under your control.

An epub via an adobe product can be distributed in any number of ways...Apple & the store are just one outlet.

Apple's terms cover what happens when you have an .ibooks file (not .epub) and in that case, there is nowhere to distribute but the store and your own servers. If you sell it, only the store. Otherwise, again, it's your content, so as long as it is an epub, Apple has no control.

Jun 20, 2012 4:54 PM in response to K T

An excellent commentary which will answer the un-asked question for many.

I still think that iTunes for many including myself has considerable appeal. As an Australian obtaining the US Tax File Number is a bit of a hurdle which comes at a not insignificant cost and that is simply to get the proof of identify documents properly notarised.

I am not sure why Apple what you to jump this hurdle given that Blurb have no such requirement for non-USA citizens to publish in their Bookstore.

In Australia our law dictates that if you are a publisher then the book is deemed to have been published in the State in which you are domicile [permaned place of residence]. In that case as a publisher I am regulated by the State of Victoria and the Australian Federal Government.

ecommerce certainly throws up some interenst issues. Ant..

Jun 20, 2012 5:04 PM in response to adnixon

I still think that iTunes for many including myself has considerable appeal. As an Australian obtaining the US Tax File Number is a bit of a hurdle which comes at a not insignificant cost and that is simply to get the proof of identify documents properly notarised.

I didn't have to have anything notarized. But I publish as a company, and the requirements for individuals may be different. As a company, all you need to supply is a copy of the ABN and GST registration documents. No certification of those copies was necessary in my case.

Michi.

Jun 20, 2012 5:07 PM in response to adnixon

I was unable to find any FAQ which deals with the 'Open with' issue that I have.

If you email yourself a working .ibook file on an iPad and then select "Open with iBooks", and the book won't open in iBooks, I'd say that's a bug. You can report it to Apple. Best place for this is probably the bug reporting feature of the Apple Developer program.

Michi.

Open with on Ipad Fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.