Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for my battery temperature to be at 87ºF?

According to the coconutbattery app, my laptop's battery temperature is usually around 87ºF. I got worried when I checked my sister's macbook pro and noticed that her battery temperature is around 25ºF (with the same app). I put a fan next to my laptop for an hour and the battery only cooled down to 85ºF.

The temperature stays the same regardless of it being plugged in to the charger or not.

Is it normal for my battery to constantly be this hot? I play computer games fairly regularly, but even when I have no applications open the battery is still hot.

I am currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I don't want to upgrade to Lion at the moment.
I have already tried resetting the SMC, and nothing happened.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:17 PM

3 replies

Jun 20, 2012 4:20 PM in response to ckurzner

User Tip: How to deal with MacBook Pro and MacBook heat?

FAQ: Apple notebook batteries – maintenance and troubleshooting

Per your user manual: Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook Pro. Never push objects into the ventilation openings.

From MacBook Pro: Care, Use, and Safety Information

For prolonged use, place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2012 4:33 PM in response to CMCSK

I don't put my laptop on soft pillows or anything like that for prolonged periods of time (especially when I am running a computer game). It has been sitting on my desk for a week now and the temperature of the battery is still the same. I do not use any kind of outer shell protection. I do not use a keyboard cover.

I just want to know if this is normal or not.

Is it normal for my battery temperature to be at 87ºF?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.