Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new MBPret vs. new MBP (tweaked)...thoughts?

So, the new MBP retina is pretty dope, for sure. That said, I have been debating if it is really worth it, or, if I should buy a new 15" MBP high-res, and upgrade it on my own with a 512 GB crucial SSD ($399, in the optical drive), and 16GB ($100) of memory. I know it would lack the retina display, HDMI, and anorexic look of the MBPret. That said, it'd be an equally tough machine, for significantly less money. What do you apple-ytes think about that idea?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:32 PM

Either way you can't go wrong. Honestly look at your own life if you are going to need the Retina screen and will be using it everyday go for retina. If you don't really need it go for the ssd upgrade.

also on a side note the MBPR models have a few problems with them so far. The repairs are very expensive due to everything being practically glued together. Also i have seen on the forums problems with the screen.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2012 4:32 PM in response to eferr

Either way you can't go wrong. Honestly look at your own life if you are going to need the Retina screen and will be using it everyday go for retina. If you don't really need it go for the ssd upgrade.

also on a side note the MBPR models have a few problems with them so far. The repairs are very expensive due to everything being practically glued together. Also i have seen on the forums problems with the screen.

new MBPret vs. new MBP (tweaked)...thoughts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.