Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Preview

When I open a file in Preview, it opens all the files I had previously opened. I cannot edit photos, and the only way to actual do anything to get out of preview is to force quit or to hold the alt/option key whilst quitting on the menu, and only with right click, because left click does nothing. I don't have a problem like this with any of my other programs, so it's not my mouse settings. Help?

preview-OTHER

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:15 PM

11 replies

Nov 19, 2017 5:40 PM in response to Shpuggy

My interim solution is to use my old 2010 MacBook.pro with operating system 10.11.6 (El Capitan) to manage image files. Last week I spent about two hours on the phone with a supervisor at customer service and we tried doing some things to no avail. Fortunately I had my old MacBook handy. It looks to me like a great leap backward when I have to use an old computer to get the job done so I hope this gets remedied. My problem was that I couldn't load several scans into one window. It would only load one at a time. One suggestion on line was to download a "free" app for dealing with pdfs. But that is not satisfactory. The previous versions of Preview work with other kinds of image files (jpeg, tiff etc. ) as well.

Jun 20, 2012 4:22 PM in response to Shpuggy

Quit Preview (force it to quit if you have to) and then hold the Option key followed by choosing "Library" from the Go menu in the Finder. Then go to the Saved Application State folder in the Library and delete the folder called "com.apple.Preview.savedState." If this is an alias (a small curved arrow in the icon will show you this), then right-cick it and choose "Show Original," followed by deleting the original as well.

When finished, re-launch Preview and hopefully the program will load properly without opening other windows and causing the program to hang.

Nov 1, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Shpuggy

Not sure if your still having this problem but try this.

Open finder, and press Cmd + F to bring up a search dialogue. Click on where it says "Kind" and change it to "System Files" so that we can search system files too. Next, change "aren't included" to "are included" and type the following in the search box at the top: "com.apple.preview.plist" and select and delete it once the search finds it. I had two, and deleted the one that was modified the most recently. Now, open up Preview and whatever your default settings were, they should be there again. I had the exact same issue and this fixed it for me. I go nuts about it not opening in continous scroll and was going to lose it if I couldn't figure this out. 🙂 I tried deleting the com.apple.preview.savedstate and it did nothing to resolve the issue. Cheers!

Oct 19, 2013 3:38 PM in response to Aaplluvr

Hello!

I have the same issue as all you did but following your steps I erased the folder then open preview an as you wrote all the media gone but once I open a "single document" an close it the next time I open preview show me the "single document" it appears in the thumbnails!!😠 so for me still having this issue

there's anything I could do to solve this?

Dec 16, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Shpuggy

This just started happening to me yesterday. A weird new bug? I found the file com.apple.preview.plist in library then preferences. Deleted it, but it did not work. Here is the list of file I found. Should I trash them all?

com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile

com.apple.Preview.plist - Now deleted

com.apple.Preview.plist.lockfile

com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile

Problems with Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.