Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed my apple ID to my new email address but can't enter ID to log into iCloud and iCloud does not recognize old password

I changed my Apple ID to a new email address but iCloud still only shows the old ID and wants me to enter a password. It does not recognize the old password and it will not allow me to change the Apple ID to the nnew ID. Because of this iCloud won't backup. How can I change iCloud ID so I can enter the password?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1, Can't change apple ID in IPad

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 3:24 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your iOS device, you need to delete the account from your iOS device first, then add it back using your updated details. (Settings > iCloud, scroll down and hit "Delete Account")

When you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2012 3:24 AM in response to Awas966

Welcome to the Apple Community.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your iOS device, you need to delete the account from your iOS device first, then add it back using your updated details. (Settings > iCloud, scroll down and hit "Delete Account")

When you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

Jan 18, 2014 4:31 PM in response to Laura Quitugua

If the old ID ("username") is yours, and if your new ID was created by editing the details of this old ID (rather than being an entirely new ID), go to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iDevice, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

Jan 18, 2014 4:45 PM in response to Laura Quitugua

Try to save the change without verifying the old address. Then go back to Settings>iCloud on your device and try to turn off Find My iPhone. When it prompts you for the password for your old ID, use the password for your current ID anyway. If it accepts the password and turns off Find My iPhone, save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

Jan 18, 2014 5:36 PM in response to Laura Quitugua

I suspect you are right. That is probably why you were required to verify the old email address when you tried to change your ID earlier. If it was never used with the ID before, Apple requires that it be verified.

In that case, this solution won't work, and you will have to contact Apple for assistance. I believe they have a process that they can implement at their end for situations like yours. To contact them, click "Get Started" here: http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/contact/. You will need your device serial number to set it up, which you can find liste in Settings>General>About.

I changed my apple ID to my new email address but can't enter ID to log into iCloud and iCloud does not recognize old password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.