Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I modify an image the screen goes black...

If I revert to original, the image comes back. When I reveal the modified images in Finder each image is placed in its own folder with a jibberish naming convention. I've tried to rebuild the library as well as the database. I have found other with this same issue but no solutions.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:15 PM

20 replies

Jun 20, 2012 10:55 PM in response to T•R•E

There are several possible causes for the Black Screen issue

1. Permissions in the Library: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair permissions.

2. Minor Database corruption: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.

3. A Damaged Photo: Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and right click on it. From the resulting menu select 'Show File (or 'Show Original File' if that's available). (On iPhoto 11 this option is under the File -> Reveal in Finder.) Will the file open in Preview? If not then the file is damaged. Time to restore from your back up.

4. A corrupted iPhoto Cache: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Name/Library/ Caches...

5. A corrupted preference file: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder. (Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

If none of these help:

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Regards

TD

Jun 21, 2012 7:40 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your reply. I happened upon your solution in another thread and have tried all your suggestions except trashing the iPhoto cache and preference file. I will try those approaches tonight I guess.

Here's some more info on what is going on:

I only get the black screen when I modify an image by using the sliders. If I click "Revert to Original" the image reappears. I modified 29 images and even though the screen went black, the modifications were saved. If I select the thumbnails and go to File -> Reveal in Finder, my MacBook goes crazy. (i.e. The screen starts jumping around) It seems Finder is opening a folder for each picture. Each photo IS placed in it's own folder within the directory and the folders have funky names like "D6uebAQnpCE%77jA". When I reveal the originals in Finder everything behaves as it should.

Jun 21, 2012 9:54 AM in response to T•R•E

I also have this issue since upgrading to 9.3 (650.39). When I go to edit/adjust and make a alteration (eg shadows), I get a blank/black screen. I can revert to original and no corruption of same.

I attempted the above fixes which did not correct the issue. The second library reacts the same.

There was no cache or plist as you described - could they be elsewhere?

Thanks,

Jim

Jun 21, 2012 9:02 PM in response to Yer_Man

iPhoto '11 Version 9.3

I tried all your suggestions to no avail. I don't see the files you mentioned, neither in cache nor preferences. This all started when I got an alert that my library needed to be updated in order to work with the new version. Not only does my screen go black, sometimes it turns the images into black and white or turns it upside down or inverts it or all three.

Something is wrong with iPhoto itself I think. In Finder, the folder structure for the originals looks good. The folder structure for modified images is not right...something like this:

iPhoto Library -> Masters -> 2012 -> 06 -> 20 -> 20120612-2111603 -> vQVxbpD2Q5m5yOhYYvNoFQ -> image

I'd like to get this resolved so thanks for your help.

Jun 27, 2012 8:36 PM in response to Yer_Man

I am still having the same issue with iPhoto. I recently took my MacBook to a genius at an Apple store but the store closed before he could solve it. He tried all of your suggestions to no avail. He trashed iPhoto and installed a new one and ran updates but this did not solve it. He created a new user account and saw the same problem. This led him to believe that the problem is system wide. His next plan was to reinstall Lion but there wasn't enough time. I did this at home and restored from Time Capsule but the problem persists. I am at wits end, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Jun 28, 2012 12:33 AM in response to T•R•E

iPhoto Library -> Masters -> 2012 -> 06 -> 20 -> 20120612-2111603 -> vQVxbpD2Q5m5yOhYYvNoFQ -> image

Assuming you mean

iPhoto Library -> Previews...

That's the same in my library.

Some things from your report stick out to me:

I don't see the files you mentioned, neither in cache nor preferences.

I'm guessing you're not looking in the correct library.

On 10.7: Hold the option (or alt) key while clicking on the Go menu in Finder to access the User Library

But this:

Not only does my screen go black, sometimes it turns the images into black and white or turns it upside down or inverts it or all three.

Never seen that sort of behaviour reported here before, and that makes me wonder about a hardware issue.

Try trash the cache and plist files, and see what happens.

What happened with the Test Library?

Jun 28, 2012 5:25 AM in response to Yer_Man

Assuming you mean

iPhoto Library -> Previews...

That's the same in my library.

Yes, sorry. It is iPhoto -> Previews...

I'm guessing you're not looking in the correct library.

On 10.7: Hold the option (or alt) key while clicking on the Go menu in Finder to access the User Library

The genius at the Apple store did this but it made no difference. He created a test user account also and the same issues were present with the new account.

Never seen that sort of behaviour reported here before, and that makes me wonder about a hardware issue.

What hardware exactly...if you had to guess?

What happened with the Test Library?

Same issue...that's what led the genius to believe the problem is system wide and recommended reinstalling Lion...which I did to no avail.

Jun 28, 2012 6:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

I went to the Genius Bar yesterday. Tech got the same issues I have described. I emailed him image files that would not work on my computer - they worked fine on his store computer iPhoto. We talked about options, and he suggested a complete re-install.I had everything backed up to 6/25/12 so this was not an issue. He wiped my hard drive, reinstalled OSX 10.7.3 (older version). iPhoto now worked with image files. I went home, loaded some photo files, and the program worked fine (adjust/edit/shadow worked). I had to update all programs as the tech had installed an old version. I updated all the usual updates - I had not restored any other programs. So the updater loaded OSX to 10.7.4 (latest update Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)) and the problem returned! I did not restore the iPhoto on the backup - I took pictures I had left on my camera and loaded them into iPhoto. Leads me to believe there is a software bug - not a hardware bug.

Is there anything else I can provide?

Jim

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.17f0

Serial Number (system): W87253H8YA4

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0019E33E43BB

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)

Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0

Boot Volume: Hitachi 320.07 GB

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: JMZPowerBook

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Time since boot: 1 day10:33

Jun 28, 2012 7:24 AM in response to Yer_Man

I can see how a failing graphics card might be responsible for the goofy image problems but how would it be responsible for the irregularity within the folder path? i.e. iPhoto Library -> Previews -> 2012 -> 06 -> 20 -> 20120612-2111603 -> vQVxbpD2Q5m5yOhYYvNoFQ -> image

Another development: I opened iPhoto this morning and was told the library was no longer readable. I was in it (iPhoto) last night trying to troubleshoot and it was reading fine. As I haven't downloaded any new images, I don't know what could have caused this to happen. All I did was try to edit a couple of pictures to see if they were still black screening.

Jun 28, 2012 8:00 AM in response to Yer_Man

You have folders named, "vQVxbpD2Q5m5yOhYYvNoFQ", within your file path? Is that new with the latest update because nowhere else in my library, prior to the library update last week, do I see that path structure. I have 104GB of pictures in my library and not once do I see folders named as above...except with photos I've download after the library update.

I'm relatively new to Mac so I'm not up-to-snuff on Console nor Safe Mode. I thought Safe Mode was a PC thing?

When I modify an image the screen goes black...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.