Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Appzapper?

Hi All,

What is AppZapper? Is it necessary to have it installed on my OS system? I seen it and deleted it from my system tonight. Is it a malware or is it legit? Thanks all for your support and knowledge.

Macthemini

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:08 PM

Not malware. Just another so called uninstaller app.

Here's macupdate.com's download page for it. It includes a description and user reviews.

How did you get it on your system if you didn't download it?

To uninstall you can just delete the app. But if you are a purist and want to delete everything assoicated with it there is also:

~/Libary/Application Support/AppZapper/ (a folder)

~/Library/Preferences/com.appzapper.AppZapper.plist

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2012 10:08 PM in response to Macthemini

Not malware. Just another so called uninstaller app.

Here's macupdate.com's download page for it. It includes a description and user reviews.

How did you get it on your system if you didn't download it?

To uninstall you can just delete the app. But if you are a purist and want to delete everything assoicated with it there is also:

~/Libary/Application Support/AppZapper/ (a folder)

~/Library/Preferences/com.appzapper.AppZapper.plist

Jun 21, 2012 8:58 AM in response to Macthemini

Macthemini wrote:

What is AppZapper?

Just another search and delete program for other programs.

Is it necessary to have it installed on my OS system?

No, in fact I don't advise using it as it's prone to flagging hte wrong stuff and people then trust it to delete the right stuff.

Better to use the developers uninstaller or advice how to manually uninstal.

Is it a malware or is it legit?

Legit usually, however you have to question how it got there, it might be a trojan and got onto your machine unawares.

Jun 21, 2012 9:54 AM in response to ds store

Thanks both of you for sharing your information. I do believe it may have been a Trojan of some sort as my homepage msn started acting up and would give me a window saying it was experiencing difficulties. When I refreshed my page the home page came back and sometimes it didn't. Strange behaviour for sure. So I deleted all my cookies, went to my download folder but couldn't find anything to delete that looked strange. Maybe it was just the appzapper that somehow got onto my hard drive. Anyways, it's working now and all is well so far. Hopefully it was just a Trojan and not the flashback malware everyone was talking about. That would be disasterous.

Macthemini

Jun 21, 2012 10:44 AM in response to Macthemini

If this is a Trojan, which I strongly doubt, it must be brand new. I've never heard of it (not that I haven't heard of AppZapper, that's been around for ages.) And I don't know why an exploit would announce itself so conspicuously in the form of an unsolicited program. Are you sure you didn't download it somehow?

What problem still exists? Whatever may be happening, my guess is it's unrelated.

Jun 21, 2012 11:07 AM in response to WZZZ

You could be right WZZZ. I'm not to educated about this kind of stuff. I can't explain why my msn homepage would not open up properly when a couple of days ago it worked fine. It could be unrelated for sure but nowadays one can never be too sure about malware, trojans, and viruses and how sneaky they can be in infecting your hard drive. I can't recall downloading anything recently on my computer. All I seen last evening was the AppZapper on my hard drive when I was going through my Back up drives partitions. I noticed on my WIN drive that it said "reformat required" (incompatible file system). I clicked on it to see what was going on but it did nothing. Not sure what happened there with my WIN Drive. For some strange reason I seen the AppZapper on my hard drive list and removed it right away as I didn't download it at all. It was a bit difficult to get off at first but I did get it off. Maybe I need to go in to other parts of my hard drive to see if any of it is left over?

What is Appzapper?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.