Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apogee GiO and Retina MacBookPro problems

I wonder, does anyone else out there use Apogee's GiO and a new Retina MBP? With Mainstage or Logic?

The colored lights no longer work on my GiO since I've upgraded to a Retina MBP. The switches all perform their functions as programmed, but the indicator lights are just a faint green now -- the same way that they look when you plug it in but don't have Mainstage/Logic running yet.

Here's what they're supposed to look like:

User uploaded file

But here's how they look now, all the time no matter what software is running:

User uploaded file
Anyway, I've reinstalled everything and it still doesn't work. I've checked and double-checked drivers. I've even spent a 45 minutes with a Apogee tech representative, but no go. I'm beginning to think that there must be some difference between the USB port on my old MBP and the new one.

I'd be grateful for any help with this problem. I perform live every week and, while I'm glad the switches still work and I can use my pedalboard, I have come to depend on the colors I've programmed into Mainstage to tell me what patches are running, etc.

Thanks so much!

Chris Perry

MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:50 PM

8 replies

Jun 20, 2012 11:32 PM in response to chrisleifperry

Did you use the 'email and Apogee expert' or call their support number - I'd be interested to know if other MBP-R users (or new non-Retina MBP users) of USB 3 ports are having similar problems.

The MBP-R has a USB 3 port that should be compatible with USB 2 devices - although some have reported problem with the USB 3 port, it's mainly been about connecting external hard drives with USB 3. Strange at it may sound, I would travel to your local Apple Store and see if they can run any sort of diagnostics on your USB 3 port. You

Clinton

Jul 20, 2012 7:33 AM in response to ezedodo

A customer service rep at Apogee says, "Our Engineer team was able to reproduce this and has confirmed this will require a software update for the GIO to resolve. Although an exact date hasn't been determined our Engineer team is currently working on this. Apologies and your patience is appreciated while we sort this out." In a further correspondence he continues, "In process, the GIO was developed in conjunction with Apple to provide this integration with GarageBand, Logic and MainStage. So I would venture a guess that this fix is going to require a collaborative effort."

Just yesterday there was a USB patch for the new MacBooks that said it "improved compatibility with various devices." I downloaded the patch, but it didn't solve my problem. However, perhaps that patch in conjunction with an updated driver from Apogee will solve the problem.

Hopefully... I gig weekly with my GiO and I miss seeing the stompbox indicator lights when I trigger a patch.

Feb 1, 2013 3:55 AM in response to DJFelix

In a sense I did (and I'm sorry I didn't post it here, but it had been so long). Anyway, if you plug the GiO into a USB 2 hub and then plug the hub into the Mac it will work. It's not a perfect fix, but I've been using it this way for a few months now and haven't had any more problems. I just bought a cheap and small hub which I keep attached to the USB cable that I use with the GiO. I guess I don't even think about it any longer.

This solution came to me via the GiO support rep, by the way. My thanks to them for that.

Mar 7, 2014 8:45 AM in response to chrisleifperry

Chris,

What brand and model USB 2 hub are you using? Is the hub a powered or self powered hub? Is it still working properly and are you using Apogee's older drivers (July 2011) or the newer drivers (2013). I am in a similar situation - using Macbook Pro (late 2013) with USB 3.0 ports and Mainstage 3. I have tried two 'self powered' USB 2 hubs from 2 different companies but neither will resolve the issue. The lights on the Gio aren't dimmed, they work to a degree but don't stay in sync with the pedals or Loopback buttons in templates in Mainstage. For instance, a button assigned to a pedal effect will often stay on when it should be off and visa versa. Basically, seems the lights on the Gio aren't staying in sync with the buttons in Mainstage. Wondering if a particular brand of USB 2 hub would help resolve it and keep the lights in sync?

Mar 7, 2014 9:01 PM in response to Joseph Rizzo

Honestly I haven't even needed to use the hub since the Mavericks came out (or was it with Mainstage 3, I can't remember when I quit using the hub). The issue has been completely resolved for me.

The hub I was using was a Belkin one... nothing fancy, just a cheap unpowered hub. Anyway, what you describe with the lights not staying in sync sounds like a slightly different issue than mine. In fact, I wonder if it's a configuration issue with Mainstage.

Apogee GiO and Retina MacBookPro problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.