Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to use Migrate Assistant to transfer my files to a new Hard Drive?

My Mac is very slow and I'm considering erasing the disk and install Snow Leopard again.

The erasure must be my last choice, I still need to try defragmenting my HDD and see if my Mac returns to the speedy one as it was before.

I have a problem, I installed MacKeeper and didn't know what kind of fraud is it. Then, I "uninstalled" it with Zeobit's uninstaller, which is said to cause things to go even worse.

My doubt is: If I use Migration Assisntant and migrate all my Apps and preferences, would the leftovers of MacKeeper sneak into those files? I don't want my computer to be slow even after reinstalling my OS.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Like 5months old

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 11:26 PM

5 replies

Jun 22, 2012 4:56 PM in response to FraotDasFeuer

FraotDasFeuer wrote:

. . .

My doubt is: If I use Migration Assisntant and migrate all my Apps and preferences, would the leftovers of MacKeeper sneak into those files?

Yes. 😟

I'm not sure what the best removal instructions are, but these are recommended by one of our malware gurus: see http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

Jun 23, 2012 12:29 PM in response to FraotDasFeuer

Try the removal instructions first. If they work, you won't need the "nuclear option." 😉

But if you do, back up everything, but only restore what you think you need. Otherwise, you may miss something important.

Erase the drive, reinstall OSX, then use Setup Assistant. It allows you to select or omit some broad categories of things, so skip Applications, and reinstall your 3rd-party apps (and iLife, iWork, etc.) from the original disks. See Using Setup Assistant on Snow Leopard or Leopard.

Is it safe to use Migrate Assistant to transfer my files to a new Hard Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.