Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing on AppleTV is a slow pain???

Hello,

Is there anyway to set up a "one way syncing" between the iTunes library on an iMac and an AppleTV?

I have limited hard drive space and whatever I download on the AppleTV is only for watching on the TV and I do not need or what it on my iMac.

Also, a major problem is that after syncing, my AppleTV purchases are erased from the AppleTV.

I also have to quit iTunes and open it again when I have synced a video to AppleTV or else any further sync will remove those videos.

I have been trying to figure out a solution for a long time.

Can anyone help?

(I have the grey AppleTV with the hard drive)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:38 AM

22 replies

Jun 21, 2012 8:49 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I was wanting to know if I am doing it right or if there was a setting I may have missed.

It is annoying that when I buy a movie on the AppleTV that it has to be deleted when I sync with iTunes and have to transfer it back again.

The solution to that is of course to only buy on my iMac and then sync, but then I have to wait for the movie to download on the computer and then copy it to the AppleTV - whereas I can start watching within minutes when u buy it on AppleTV.

The current sync has been going for over an hour and a half. It is trying to transfer 15 movies from AppleTV to my library despite the fact that there is no room on the drive.

Jun 21, 2012 9:58 AM in response to NeddySeagoon

I'm not exactly sure where you are trying to move things from or to. However, let's assume your iTunes library is is currently in location A, and for what ever reason you wish to reformat the drive where location A is located.

You are going to temporarily need to move your library to location B, which lets say is on an external drive. On the external drive locate where you wish to place the temporary library, create a folder, call it what you wish, maybe something like "my temporary library".

Now go to iTunes and open the preferences and navigate to the advanced tab. Under the section that is called "iTunes media folder location", click on the change button and locate your "my temporary library" folder. Also check the checkbox "keep iTunes media folder organised".

Close the preference window and navigate to the iTunes file menu, and from the library option select the organise option, when the window opens check the box that says consolidate and click OK.

Depending on how large your library is, this may take some time, once it is complete, play a few tunes etc, to make sure it works properly, after which you can then erase location A. After all this is done you can do the whole process over again, to put your iTunes library back where it was.

Syncing on AppleTV is a slow pain???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.