Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After three years my iPod shuffle(3rd gen) volume with earphones is too low. I cannot raise the volume with the Apple earphones?

The earphone for my 3rd gen. iPod shuffle no longer allows for a higher volume. This happened after 3 years of no problems. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 1:05 PM

Select the iPod shuffle in the iTunes sidebar, under DEVICES. Over to the right, on the Summary tab, if there checkbox there for Limiit maximum volume, make sure it is NOT checked. Or, if you want it checked, make sure the slider bar is set to a high-enough volume.

If that is not the problem, maybe the volume control button on the headphones cord is becoming faulty. Are you able to make the volume go down AND up (within a range that is lower than desired)?

You can also try doing a Restore on the shuffle in iTunes, which will erase the shuffle and set it to default ("factory") settings.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2012 1:05 PM in response to murray516

Select the iPod shuffle in the iTunes sidebar, under DEVICES. Over to the right, on the Summary tab, if there checkbox there for Limiit maximum volume, make sure it is NOT checked. Or, if you want it checked, make sure the slider bar is set to a high-enough volume.

If that is not the problem, maybe the volume control button on the headphones cord is becoming faulty. Are you able to make the volume go down AND up (within a range that is lower than desired)?

You can also try doing a Restore on the shuffle in iTunes, which will erase the shuffle and set it to default ("factory") settings.

Mar 13, 2013 7:24 AM in response to murray516

I bought my i-shuffle 3rd gen on Christmas 2009 and I held it so proud, like it was the epitome of apple concept, all this no-button design product. It worked perfectly for 2 years. Last year my original earphones produced very low volume and I thought it was an earphone's fault. I tried other original i-phone 4 earphones with mic and control and it worked perfect again. But I had to return them back to my friend so I decided to look for i-pod shuffle 3rd gen. earphones on ebay and apple store. All genuine items are extremely expensive so I ordered twice fake ones at low prices. The first didn't work at all. The second one, the sound is too low, as my original problem. I have now decided to quit my effort to try and save the reputation of this once-a-miracle-now-worst-buy-ever apple sophisticated product. So it is no use in buying original accessories for a product which is soon bypassed by new flawless apple technology. I'll buy a classic i-pod next time, with buttons and stuff.

Jan 8, 2016 10:42 PM in response to _DaRkPuLs3_

Unfortunately, the current EarPods headphones are not compatible with the 3rd gen iPod shuffle. If you want Apple headphones, you need the previous version of Apple headphones, sold separately as replacement for iPhone. It has a microphone that is not used with shuffle, but the control buttons should work. Apple no longer sells it; it may be in stock elsewhere (or on eBay).

Alternately, you can use any standard headphones, including the EarPods you have, by getting an "adapter" with the control buttons. Here's one example, but there are other similar products.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Headphone-Control-Adapter-iPod/dp/B003A5AXP4

I have not personally used.

May 3, 2016 9:41 AM in response to murray516

I have found a solution to this problem after reading this entire string, as I had the same problem. I connected an OLD, previous version Apple earphones (not the pods). Then I turned up the volume to the max, while listening to the iPod Shuffle. I disconnected the old earphones and connected with the newer Apple pod earphones. It stayed the same and loud. Much better and needed for a workout. Hope this helps everyone.

After three years my iPod shuffle(3rd gen) volume with earphones is too low. I cannot raise the volume with the Apple earphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.