Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use DisplayPort (for a monitor) and Thunderbolt at the same time?

Hi all,

I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air 13 inch with a single Thunderbolt port.

I have the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter cable which I am able to use to run a Dell 24 inch monitor - this cable connects to both the DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port and also a USB port on the Air.

I want to be able to run this Dell monitor, and also run a Thunderbolt hard drive - one with 2 Thunderbolt ports.

Is this possible?

Can I connect the DisplayPort part of the cable to the pass-through Thunderbolt port on the hard drive, and then connect the hard drive to the Thunderbolt port on the Air?

Thanks, for any advice :-)

I would like to buy the Apple Thunderbolt display (which would solve this issue), but I suspect it will may refreshed soon. So I don't intend to get one until then.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 1:36 PM

Hi Conan,

The Belkin hub looks like it'll do what you need it to do but it's not available until September (ish).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5933/thunderbolt-docks-are-here-belkin-thunderbolt -express-dock-matrox-ds1

I'm not aware of a solution that is currently available, outside of the Thunderbolt display.

3 replies

Jun 22, 2012 6:32 AM in response to Conan_Butcher

OK,

I have tried this myself and it does work.

Macbook Air - connect to Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt (Using Thunderbolt cable)

Seagate Goflex Thunderbolt passthrough to a Dell 24 Inch monitor (using Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter cable).

Both the Seagate GoFlex and the Dell 24 inch monitor work :-)

I am happy with this result, so I won't need to get a Thunderbolt moniter just yet - I will wait for Gen 2 :-)

Can I use DisplayPort (for a monitor) and Thunderbolt at the same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.