Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert .VOB file to edit in FCPX

Can anyone please suggest the best way to convert a .vob file to edit in Final Cut Pro X? I read that Mpeg Streamclip was the business, but when I load the .vob file, it appears only as a sound file with no video. The .vob is definately a video file. I also get a message about Apple Quicktime Mpeg-2 playback component is not installed. It says I have to buy this part, but I haven't read anything about needing this. Maybe I do.

Besides "how", also what is the best format to convert to for editing in FCPX?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 9:19 AM

19 replies

Jun 21, 2012 12:20 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thanks. I saw that website. It is very unclear. I don't see any instruction as regards converting a .vob and needing a file to be installed. Is an Mpeg2 the same thing as a .vob? I wouldn't know, but maybe it is. So it says that if you have FCPX, you already have that installed and don't need to install anything. Then it says for Lion, that it does need to be installed, so that's confusing. It says, "inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component". Sounds simple enough, however that utility is not there in the disk image. Well, there is an Apple script, but it tells me to install something which doesn't exist. It looks like this:

User uploaded file

There is no Quicktimempeg2.dmg file to double click. In the extras folder, there is a "save as AVI" component, but that doesn't seem related, however I installed that anyway, but it didn't help. So why is MPEG Streamclip such a pain, or am I just missing something really obvious?

Are there any other options besides this one? Like ones that work?

Jun 21, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you. Now I can see that it is clear that the component needs to be retrieved separately and then Mpeg Streamclip uses it. That wasn't clear to me with statements on the MPeg Streamclip site like "you already have the file if you have FCPX". Anyway, got it and now it works. Thank you!

So my next related question. With all the options available in Mpeg Streamclip, which is the most appropriate output to maintain quality and edit in FCPX without making enormous files unless, of course, that just can't be avoided anyway.

Jun 21, 2012 4:06 PM in response to Cartoonguy

I found VisualHub worked in many instances that MPEG Streamclip didn't.

The software is obsolete, but still works (after applying the updater) in Lion.

You can download the app here:

http://mac.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=20314&t=4&i=1

and get the updater here:

http://www.isquint.org/

Just drop your VOB into the window, pick your transcode options and go. (Take the advice and don't mess with the advanced options unless you really know what you're doing.)

If there is any copy protection in your VOB, about the only thing that will work is MacTheRipper. You'll have to find that on your own and it's best not to play with that fire.

Jun 21, 2012 4:14 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks. I can only see "Apple DV Pal", but I'm NTSC. Do you mean Apple "DV/DVCPRO NTSC"? Also, I read that Apple Pro Res 422 was good, so I tried it. It looks good, but the file size is huge. The DV one above resulted in a slightly smaller file, but still pretty big. I guess that's normal. 18.5 GB for one hour using Pro Res and 14 GB for DV.

Oct 14, 2012 1:12 PM in response to MichaelCo

Frokm the MPEG Streamclip web site

The installer of the MPEG-2 Playback Component may refuse to install the component in Lion and Mountain Lion. Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion and Mountain Lion, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it.

To install the component in Lion or Mountain Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b8 betaabove; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component M. Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion or Mountain Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion and Mountain Lion. For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion and Mountain Lion. You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

Oct 14, 2012 5:42 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Frokm the MPEG Streamclip web site

The installer of the MPEG-2 Playback Component may refuse to install the component in Lion and Mountain Lion. Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion and Mountain Lion, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it.

To install the component in Lion or Mountain Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b8 betaabove; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component M. Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion or Mountain Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion and Mountain Lion. For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion and Mountain Lion. You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

Thanks, I downloaded and installed the beta from Squared5.com. However,when I run the Utility MPEG2 Component M.Lion, I get a dialog "Please double-click the file QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg to open the quicktime MPEG2 disk image".

How/where do I get the QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg? e.g., trusted site. Do I need to purchase the MPEG-2 Playback Component from the Apple Online Store?

Jan 2, 2014 4:57 AM in response to MichaelCo

So does this not work with Mavericks anymore? I'm on mavericks, read through this entire thread, can't get Streamclip to work. I had to do a google search for the quicktime component and found it finally on apples website. bought it. went to install it and it says it's intended for an earlier version of OSX.

So as of right now, i can honestly say, Streamclip does NOT work on Mavericks in any way when trying to get VOB files or rip DVD's.

Just a heads up. Unless someone can correct me. Which I really hope someone can correct me.

Jan 2, 2014 5:20 AM in response to bradhotdog

It works with 10.9.

To install the component in Lion or Mountain Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b8 beta above; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component M. Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion or Mountain Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

From the Squared5 web site. It doesn't address 10.9 specifically, but exactly the same situation exists. You need to run the QuickTimeMPEG2 installer.

Jan 2, 2014 5:27 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Downloaded the Beta from their site. Opened the disk image. They have MPEG Streamclilp.app and Utility MPEG2 Component M. Lion.app

When you open the Utillity MPEG2 Component M. Lion app it has the following notification...

This utility will help you install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component in OS X Lion and Mountain Lion.

It installs just the component and nothing else. There is no warranty.

You need the QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg installer file.

You may be asked for an administrator password.

Now... what exactly and where exactly do I find this QuicktimeMPEG2.dmg

It does not exisit anywhere on either the Beta or the normal download of Streamclip.

Convert .VOB file to edit in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.