Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I wait before upgrading to Mountain Lion from Lion?

I'm a jump-right-in-and-upgrade kind of person ordinarily, but when I did that with Lion I found a number of my third-party apps had not kept pace with the new OS. And I'm still waiting for my favorite BigFish game to release a compatible verion. So what is the consensus -- upgrade or wait? I know I have a short window to get a free up

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 11:39 AM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2012 11:54 AM in response to JustJoan R.

There is no guarantee, but I would guess if apps work

in Lion and developers followed Apple's guidelines for

app development, they would work in Mountain Lion.

If they didn't work in Lion the certainly won't work in

Mountain Lion.

You can always get yourself an external hard drive,

clone your current install to it and update to Mountain Lion

on it and play with it or just install Mountain Lion on it

fresh and slowly migrate apps to it.

Or just go wild and just install ML, however still get a drive

and clone your current install in case of issues.

Regardless, I would not do any major update without any backup.

Jun 21, 2012 11:59 AM in response to JustJoan R.

Note that you can always get your free upgrade immediately, then just save the downloaded installer and install it when you're ready.

There's no major app showstopper in Mountain Lion like the removal of Rosetta in Lion. It's always possible that some apps will stop working, as it is with every upgrade, but ML will probably cause less of a stir in this area than Lion did. So be sure to do your research first, and have a good backup so you can revert if necessary.

Should I wait before upgrading to Mountain Lion from Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.