Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Error (input output error)

Hi, i am trying to create an image file of my HDD using the disk utility in recovery mode. I have a 160 GB external hard drive that i would like to save it to. When I attempt to create it, it starts but fails part way through, giving an input/output error. Both the laptop and the external HDD were powered on the entire time. Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 11:16 AM

4 replies

Jun 22, 2012 6:03 AM in response to dwb

I received a generic error message, with no number. The external is 160 GB, and before i tried to create the .dmg I reformated the drive as MS-DOS (FAT) using the disk utility. I did notice that when I try to create a new disk image from Macintosh HD (my HDD) it gives a "File to large" error, I tried to create a new image from folder, then selected Macintosh HD under devices from the left hand navigation pane. Thanks for your continued help.

Disk Utility Error (input output error)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.