Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving videos between 2 iPhoto Libraries

Hi all

I would like to move my videos from 1 iPhoto Library to another using iPhoto or iPhoto Library Manager (which I have). The problems I come across trying to do this are several......

First of all when either iPhoto library is opened (I have one on my macbook pro hard disc and another on an external disc) An 'Updating thumbnails' window appears which seems to crash iPhoto Library Manager (iplm). It says 'apple timeout' or something similar after 10 minutes of waiting.

When the updating thumbnails windows appears when trying to use IPLM I'm unable to cancel it, something I can do when I open iPhoto normally.

When I tried to rebuild the library all 4 different ways using the alt cmd start up of iPhoto it didn't help.

I tried to rebuilt my library using IPLM but a window came up saying iPhoto needed updating (which it doesn't) and wouldn't let me click on 'Update' or 'Cancel' so that just froze.

1st I need to know how I can get rid of the annoying 'updating thumbnails' message that appears every time I start iPhoto.

2nd I need to find a way to bypass these annoying error messages which freeze iPhoto.

3rd I'm hoping I can simply make a smart album of videos and drag it from one library to another in IPLM to transfer my videos from one library to another. But is there another way?

Thanks in advance.

Baz

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 12:07 PM

What format is the external drive?

There is no way to move videos from one Library to another using iPhoto. You will need to export them from iPhoto to the Finder, then import them to the other library.

Regards

TD

3 replies

Jun 21, 2012 12:27 PM in response to Bazoioi

More info: on iPhoto Library Manager the error message is -

Apple event timed out ('core'/'getd' (returnID 1) { ---- = object specifier: {objectClass = 'ipal'; keyForm = 'indx'; keyData = 'abso'($73726966$); container = (null)}})

Unable to press the 'Finish Later' button on the Updating thumbnails window which causes the error on iPLM I believe.

Moving videos between 2 iPhoto Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.