Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No update with PM G4 MDD 1.25DP

I bought recently (this week!) an PM G4 MDD 1.25DP with radeon 9000PRO, 1.25G of RAM, combo drive and two hard drives with 200 gigas both of them. This is my first Mac! I'm realy in love with it....

The PS is the Samsung one. Very quiet by the way.

I have read some of your helps on Apple forum and decided contact you because some problems (or probably lacks of knowledge) about this wonderfull product.

The first one is: in the morning when I try to start my G4, only after 30 or 40 attempt I get it. I push the power button so many times.... I pull away the power cord in same "so many times" until the Mac "wake up". After that it's work especially fine. I can shut down and restart the Mac unexceptionally.

The second one is: when I try to update the Leopard and when they ask me to reboot, the progressing bar showed never headway. But others updating, e.g. the Itunes, proceed like a workaday.

Well, if possible try to help me, please. Here in Brazil there isn't much PPC users actualy.

And to finish, I'm glad to talk about this, about this wonderfull machine.

Thank you.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:18 PM

The start problem may be a bad power button board or a bad power supply.

The only way to test the button board is to replace it.

The PSU can be tested with my guide:

D275729F-09DA-4FBB-96B3-BEEEB2C04619.html

As for the Leopard update, download the update from Apple, don't use the Software Update.

Download this file to your desktop and then update your OS:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL866

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2012 5:18 PM in response to Morac1976

The start problem may be a bad power button board or a bad power supply.

The only way to test the button board is to replace it.

The PSU can be tested with my guide:

D275729F-09DA-4FBB-96B3-BEEEB2C04619.html

As for the Leopard update, download the update from Apple, don't use the Software Update.

Download this file to your desktop and then update your OS:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL866

Jun 21, 2012 5:45 PM in response to japamac

Thanks a lot Chris. I wrote this specially to send you by email using the mail app, but decided to post here. I'll buy a multimeter and test it following you guide. Well, this machine is so elegant and I'm hope that my PS won't tease me. My Mac is running for three days without problems, so maybe the mea culpa may be of the button board... like the seller told me days ago.

Jun 24, 2012 8:47 AM in response to japamac

Japamac: I discovered that my problem is the battery because if a keep plugged the cable force after shutting down the Mac, BUT don't turning off my nobreak. So in the next morning I just need to push the start button to enjoying the even strong PM! I read something about this in a discussion group about Macs here in Brazil. Even if your battery have no power, keeping the cable force plugged, this maintain a little charge sufficient to keep the PMU and so on...

No update with PM G4 MDD 1.25DP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.