Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple copies of notes keep saving

I use notes quite frequently to write down ideas. Lately I've noticed something weird and annoying though. Everytime I start the app and add to a note, another copy of the note is saved. It's getting so I have 10 and 12 copies of some notes.

I do not have sync notes on iTunes checked and I don't think it's happening becasue of my iCloud backup becasue I have notes switched OFF.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:49 PM

27 replies

May 15, 2017 1:08 PM in response to jcetheredge

I found this fix, but it will delete your notes, so first Export them as PDFs or screenshot them or however you want to do it so that you don't lose them!

Then go to the Finder (by clicking anywhere on desktop), hold down the Option key as you click "Go" on the top menu...holding down Option makes "Library" pop up under the Go menu. Click Library, find the folder called "Containers" and open it, find the folder that ends in com.apple.Notes and Delete it. Then quit the Notes app and reopen it.

Sep 13, 2017 3:06 AM in response to jcetheredge

Hey guys I've finally found the answer! (it won't erase your notes for sure!)

1. Go to System Preferences > iCloud.

2. Sign into iCloud with your Apple ID.

3. Untick the Notes checkbox.

It definitely work for me and I do not have mutiple notes anymore. The only problem with that i that iCloud will not back up your notes on your Mac (but its ok for me).

Cheers!

May 4, 2013 6:14 AM in response to jcetheredge

I have the answer

Thankfully, this has a rather straightforward fix.

1. Open Terminal. (

Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
)

2. Quit the Notes.app.

3. Enter in the terminal WITHOUT the quotes "

rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes"

This probably will work.

it may switch the icloud option for notes off so to solve this go to

System prefrences/mail contacts & calanders/icloud... make sure notes is ticked.

Let me know if this workes.

Oct 7, 2013 6:59 PM in response to Lionel woolf

Hi Lionel,

I followed your instructions to stop the notes from multiplying, by entering

"

rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes"

I didn't relise however that this would delete all my notes!!

Is there anyway to undo this?

I have checked my icloud and all my notes have deleted off there as well.

Please help to get my notes back.

Thanks

Multiple copies of notes keep saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.