Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix my iMac's wifi/internet sharing?

Whenever I try to go onto our wifi with my ipad or ipod they internet works for a minute or so and then stops. My ipad says that it's connected though. So every minute or so i have to go into the internet sharing settings on my iMac and shut off and restart the internet sharing. How do i keep it going all the time?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:04 PM

7 replies

Jun 21, 2012 6:50 PM in response to LandonPetzold

It would still be helpful to post some information as I had asked you to do yesterday in your other thread:

Who is your ISP?

What is your modem/router's manufaturer/model?

How do you have the iMac attached to the modem (ethernet cable or WiFi)?

It is too difficult to guess when you don't offer information you're asked for in order to better troubleshoot.

Jun 22, 2012 8:37 AM in response to LandonPetzold

Okay, so it sounds like you just have a modem, not a router - is that correct?

I am not a wireless expert, but I believe that if you want reliable connections on a home network, you need to create a wireless network with a router that sends signals throughout your house. In other words, you route all the signals through the router to the modem. You might want to test by placing your other devices close to the iMac - do you get a more reliable connection with it?

Also see this portion contained in the link I posted previously - that appears to apply in your case:

If your Internet connection and your local network use the same port (Ethernet, for example), investigate possible side effects before you turn on Internet sharing. In some cases (if you use a cable modem, for example) you might unintentionally affect the network settings of other ISP customers, and your ISP might terminate your service to prevent you from disrupting its network.

How do I fix my iMac's wifi/internet sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.