Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S no Wi-Fi on Standby.

Quick story

My device is: Sprint iPhone 4S 32GB

I understand that the iPhone automatically switches back to 3G from Wi-Fi in standby to conserve battery. The problem with that is that I have bad coverage inside my house and it drains my battery because my iPhone is always trying to get a 3G signal. Simple fix to that is to go to settings > General > Network and turn off Cellular Data which in terms turns off 3G and forces all data via Wi-FI (If you have a Wi-Fi network set up)

My issue

When I do this my iPhone sends and receives iMessage quickly because it is sending them over Wi-Fi, but as I press the power button and lock my screen approximately after 15 seconds my iPhone turns off the Wi-Fi and it is left with no connection thus my iMessage and emails no longer get pushed, including face time calls and any other app that uses push. Is this an issue for everyone? Because I read the forums and users say their iPhone remains with Wi-Fi on during standby. It would be nice if you could test this theory and state what carrier you are on and so on.

Thank you for those that took the time to read and provided feedback, I value your time and post.

--

Chris

iPod touch, iOS 5

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 9:14 PM

12 replies

Jun 21, 2012 9:35 PM in response to GZukes

A component of WiFi watches for pushes? How can it check for "push" if WiFI is turned off? I do know for a fact that the iPhone turns it back on at random times, so I do get my notification but not pushed rather late. So my emails can say that arrived at x ammount of time but my iPhone told me in x ammount of time. Thank you for your post 🙂

--

Chris

Jun 21, 2012 10:11 PM in response to LookInToMyEyes

To answer your question, I don't know. I initially didn't believe it when I saw a post stating that the WiFi watches for pushes while the iPhone was in sleep mode and the wifi was off. I verified this by pinging my iPhone from a PC. Initially the iPhone didn't respond to ping requests. I sent an email to an account on my iPhone. The iPhone began to respond to the pings and the email was received. Then the iPhone stopped responding to pings.

Aug 15, 2012 3:35 AM in response to LookInToMyEyes

gUYzz d besT thng u caN do is ...

i) RESTORE UA IPHONE 4S USING ITUNES

click the restore icon in itunes after syncing ua iphone 4s

back up datas optn will b der ...so no worries about the loss of datas

ii) EVEN AFTR RESTORING THE WIFI ICON IS GREYD ON UA IPHONE

settings>general>reset>reset network settings

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM IN IPHON4S

FOLLOW THIS AND SOLVE UA IPHONE ISSUEZZ TOOOO

Oct 16, 2012 12:50 PM in response to AminO480

As stated above in a previous post, there is a WiFi component that watches for pushes. If you are not within range of a WiFi connection, your cellular data should allow you to receive emails and iMessages. If this isn't working on your iPhone, I suggest you make an appointment with the Genius Bar if you are near an Apple store.

Oct 16, 2012 4:15 PM in response to AminO480

I am sorry for any typos or mistakes, this is a very long post and I am limited on time. I tried my best to explain and help you find a solution such as I did.

I fixed this problem a few months back, I am sorry for not posting my results. But let me take the time now and explain everything. The component itself is the Wi-Fi chip, the only reason you see it turning off after 15 seconds is because it’s designed to save battery life, how does it save battery life? By turning of the connection and not having to keep a wireless signal and actvie connection. But wait than how is it support to receive push notification?

Simple the Wi-Fi chip supports a feature called WOW (Wake on Wireless) So after the 15 Seconds are up the iPhone turns of all active Wi-Fi connections but keeps the receive signal open in a low power state. It is up to the router, your router to send the signal to wake up the iPhone thus lettings the iPhone know that it has a new notification. The problem here wasn't my iPhone and chances are it is not your iPhone; it’s your wireless router.

A little history on the iPhone OS, back on iOS 4 the iPhone kept the connection open they never used the feature WOW so that’s why back then no one had issues. The problem with that method was that it was a constant drain of battery only those that had the 3G on would than allow the iPhone to turn of Wi-Fi. On iOS 5 Apple introduced pushed notification, which was a method that pushes a notification from the cloud to your device, this means your device had to always be listening for an update from the internet, this feature allows many apps to push from servers making it less of an hassle on the phone to check which was the case in iOS 4 for all apps that wanted to push. This is a huge drain so WOW was brought into it allowing the device to turn off its active wireless connection and rely on the router to wake it up when a new update is available.

Okay enough of me talking about history let me explain how to fix the issue. Some routers have issues with WoWLAN (Wake on Wireless Lan) my guess is that it conflicts with Apples own WoD (wake on demand) or sleep proxy service. Maybe it doesn’t conflict and it’s that apple has rules on what to allow for WOD. In my network set up my router wouldn’t send the wake signal if I was connected with WPA2-Personal < that’s the authentication method or wireless security.

Quick fix, log into your router’s set up page and change

1. 1. Update your router to the latest firmware (Extremely important)
  2. 2. Change the wireless security to WEP – 64bits
  3. 3. Change the Channel bandwidth to only 20MHZ < if you don’t have the option chances are your router only supports the 20MHZ channel
  4. 4. Make sure the router has WMM APSD enabled or just “WMM” once again if you don’t have the option chances are your router doesn’t support it. Or has it enabled by default which is most likely the case.
  5. 5. Set-up a static IP for the iPhone so the lease never expires

Following these steps should have fixed your issues, if you have an old router maybe it’s time to update. I would also like to take this time to apologize for this long post and or any mistakes I made have done, I like to be thorough. Have a great day and thanks for reading.

--
Christian

iPhone 4S no Wi-Fi on Standby.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.