Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion/iCloud prep re: MS Office 2004 and other software

Okay, so don't kill me. In only 9 days MobileMe will end, and I am just now realizing that I probably have to upgrade to Lion to continue enjoying the sync functionality (that I currently have with MobileMe) which I will need to continue between my iPhone and MacBook Pro with my Address Book, Contacts, Safari bookmarks, etc. Is this correct?

And furthermore, I have a couple related questions about other prep work I need to do besides obviously backing up both devices a few times (which I have already done on Time Machine).

- Am I understanding correctly that MS Office 2004 will not work in Lion? So I have to buy Office 2011 or download OpenOffice, is that correct?

- Do I need to do anything else to these files, other than back them up, before I make the transition?

- If anyone suggests the Mac products, I already use Pages, Numbers, etc., and much prefer them! But a lot of people continue to send me .DOC and .XLS attachments which I must open, edit, save, etc. (I think this still means I have to upgrade my MS Office version to continue to use these right? Or will OpenOffice suffice, which is free rather than another $119.99 I have to pay for Office 2011?)

I am surprised that no one else has these questions given the fast-looming extinction of MobileMe, but maybe I'm the only idiot who has such old versions of Office too?

Further: I use the **** out of iCal, Address Book and Mail, and I need these to all continue "talking with one another" (laptop to iPhone) in a seamless fashion. Should I anticipate any reason why this won't continue after the Lion/iCloud upgrade? Any bugs I need to know about re: iPhoto or iTunes too?

Sorry, and one last question: if my husband is on an older OS with his computer than me (and has to leave it as such for work software purposes), we will not be able to share calendars anymore either will we?

AGHHHHHH! This is why I've delayed the upgrade, b/c I share calendars with a lot of folks on the older OS, though ultimately it's more important that I have personal (wireless) sync capabilities.

Please advise!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 12:01 AM

5 replies

Jun 24, 2012 3:10 PM in response to nashwgrrrl

- Am I understanding correctly that MS Office 2004 will not work in Lion? So I have to buy Office 2011 or download OpenOffice, is that correct?

Correct. Office 2004 is PowerPC code only. Anything written that way will not run under Lion as all PPC support has been eliminated. Intel code or no workee.

Sorry, can't help on any of the other questions.

Jun 25, 2012 10:02 AM in response to nashwgrrrl

To address some of your concerns...

A newer version of Office (2008 or 2011), the iWork apps, or one of the free open source suites like OpenOffice or LibreOffice are all that you would need to be able to continue accessing your files. Depending on the file, though, if you open it with a non-Office app, some formatting may not be preserved. If Office-to-Office sharing is of the utmost importance, I'd recommend spending the dough on the real thing.

Contact and calendar sharing works seamlessly between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone using iCloud. I don't have a ".mac" email account so I can't comment on the email aspect of iCloud. And, yes, the calendar synching won't work between Lion and an older OS. One option to consider is that your husband could access iCloud via a web browser and manage calendars there. He just wouldn't be able to sync directly with his iCal app.

This link may be helpful:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4929?viewlocale=en_US

Jun 25, 2012 11:17 AM in response to nashwgrrrl

Nashwgrrl, I'm still working through the conversion question also, same basic reasons. By now you've probably been searching the discussions and gotten more details, but it's still useful to collect them.

1. If you run system profiler (you can get there from "about this mac" and then "more info") and choose applications it will create a list of all the applications you've got, and there's a column for "kind" -- anything that says PowerPC is from the old processors and only works through Snow Leopard by way of the translator Rosetta. All of Office 2004 will show up in your list but you might discover other software as well, Rosetta has clearly been an amazingly clean and quiet piece of work and we never had to think about it. Some applications have come out with Lion versions by now (Quicken was a biggie for many people), others haven't.

2. About iCloud, Roger Wilmut has posted at various locations in these discussions and he has a tremendously helpful website here: http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudSL.html (and browse around for other tips). If you want apple-supported syncs, you need to follow the apple-pied-piper and upgrade everything... but your husband might be able to use the workarounds.

3. Your actual files from Office 2004 should be OK in Office 2011, but if you relied on any more arcane features you should check the discussions on microsoft's support site (there's a mac section). On the other hand remember that nothing from 2004 will run once you're on Lion (including the program that removes Office 2004). It looks to me as though upgrading Office while you're still on SL is the best plan. (It's worth noting anyway that for ordinary-ish files, the iWork programs will open and also export in solid microsoft format. But iWork doesn't do everything Office does.)

4. Things on Mobile Me you will lose: web site, photo gallery albums from iPhoto, iDisk... the services are not parallel. If you used iDisk (etc) make sure you've copied everything before you switch to iCloud. Apple has conversion instructions for the things that do happen on iCloud, just not so much on the disappearing features.

5. I haven't yet read through the discussions of wiping the disk and doing a clean install of Lion (vs just upgrading) but it seems some people are recommending it more strongly than in an average upgrade (it's never a bad idea).

Any other collected wisdom out there?

Lion/iCloud prep re: MS Office 2004 and other software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.