Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air (mid 2012) external monitor black screen issue

I connected my dell 2209wa to my new macbook air with a minidisplay port -> vga.

The macbook recognized the new display but it shows only black screen..

I tried with other devices:

- Sony TV vga input: - black or striped screen.

- Sony projector - works ok!

My old macbook with this vga converter works with all devices flawlessly.

I installed a software update today what "fixed some issues with external monitors" but nothing changed.

I saw here, somebody has the same issue with previous Air modells, but the "unplug-plug" solutions didn't worked for me.

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 2:35 AM

1 reply

Jul 19, 2012 1:05 AM in response to Peet86

This is a BIG issue for me too. 6 new airs and sales team are FUBAR! Here's what I've found:

• This is for the latest 2012 thunderbolt air
  • Tried on 2 projectors, 2 screens
  • ALL work perfectly on other airs and pro's in the office
  • When connecting, I have to test loads of different res/Hz combinations and none work 100%, but 1024/75Hz works to show around 75% of the screen
  • Software update (screen patch) didn;t make a difference
  • Rebooting (full shut down!) with VGA connected DOES work! On all 4 screens, all 6 airs. This IS a solution for some, but NOT for me; my reps pre-load their browser with 20 screens, and then demo in areas with no 3G coverage. So a reboot kills them.

The encouraging part is that it CAN work, which I think means Apple can patch this. For me I have 6 brand new top of the range Air's that I may as well throw away if this isn't solved soon 😠

Macbook Air (mid 2012) external monitor black screen issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.