Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb superdrive

I've ordered a shiny new Macbook Pro with retina display, along with a USB superdrive so that I can access the stacks of data CDs I have around.

Naturally, still waiting to get the Macbook, but the USB drive arrived. I tried to test it out on my older Macbook Pro and it appears to be totally dead,

a cd inserted in the slot is not mounted at all, and no drive activity that I can hear. It seems to be showing up under USB on the system report, but

no icon or anything else appears in the finder.

So my question is - Did I just get a dead (i.e., untested) drive or maybe does this thing only work with software drivers on the new Macbook Pro???

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 7:38 AM

6 replies

Jun 22, 2012 8:01 AM in response to Prof.curmudgeon

I copied this answer from a FAQ about the Super drive on Apple's site. I don't know how definitive it is but it would seem to match your observations.

Can the external Superdrive for Mac book Air work on a iMac with a broken Superdrive

Best Answer

The SuperDrive only works on Mac computers that lack an internal optical drive so no, the SuperDrive would not work on an iMac with a broken optical drive. You can however, bring the iMac to any Apple store and if it is still under warranty, it can possibly be fixed free of charge depending on the damage which caused it. Otherwise, Apple can repair/replace the internal optical drive for a fee. Mor

and

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A

usb superdrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.