Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud and iTunes Match Query.

Hi

Some info to assist:

1) I recently had to replace my internal HD on my 2008 iMac.

2) The iTunes Media Folder is on my external HD.

3) I have signed up to iTunes Match.

The problem:

Since my internal HD died and was subsequently replaced (with OSX Lion being ultimately re-installed), when I play any songs in iTunes it appears to be streaming from iCloud rather than playing the associated file on my external HD.

I'm summising this as albums have a cloud image next to each one and I seem to have to download albums for them to be played via my external HD. Is there any way of getting itunes to change this on a mass basis? I have almost 27,000 songs so don't really want to do it on an individual basis.

It's not too much of an issue but on things like creating ringtones from songs in Garageband, it'll only 'see' songs that are downloaded and not ones that aren't.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 7:21 AM

12 replies

Jun 22, 2012 11:52 AM in response to Fookes

You say that your iTunes media folder is on an external drive - I assume that means all your songs are there? Assuming I'm correct, it sounds as if iTunes thinks your music is on the internal drive and since there's nothing there, it downloads the songs from the cloud. Again, if I am correct, the solution is to let iTunes know where your music really is.

User uploaded file

1) start iTunes and select Preferences under the iTunes menu

2) click on the Change button and navigate to the folder on your external drive that has your music. (This tells iTunes where to find your music from now on)

3) Click off the checkmarks on Keep iTunes Organized and Copy files to iTunes (after the next step you'll want to return to the Preferences and click the checkmarks back on

4) Click on the OK button.

5) Go up to the File menu, select Add to Library, navigate to the external hard drive again and click ok. iTunes is now finding all the music on your drive and adding it to the library.

6) When it is finished return to the Preferences and click on the two checkmarks mentioned in step 3.

Jun 25, 2012 5:05 AM in response to dwb

Thanks for the response. Apologies for not coming back sooner.

I may need to elaborate further:

iTunes is already pointing to my external HD (and you are correct - all my music is stored there) but is still clearly not accessing music from this source.

Could it be that following the replacement of the internal HD that I may need to 'refresh' this link to the external HD (even though it is apparently pointing there)?

If I perhaps tried this refresh and went on to the steps you show above, would this not duplicate my library? I'm really keen to avoid this possibility if I can.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2012 5:23 AM in response to Fookes

Just changing the library's location in the preferences isn't enough. That just tells iTunes where to put the new songs, it doesn't tell iTunes where are the old songs are. Yes what I told you to do will restore the link to the songs on the external drive. I told you to unchec the option of copyying songs when adding to the library. That will prevent duplicates.

Jun 26, 2012 12:02 AM in response to dwb

Hi

I did, word for word, what you'd suggested but I now have mass duplicates.

Don't know why as I unchecked and rechecked boxes at the time you'd advised. All of the albums are still showing with cloud symbols (as below) next to them so it doesn't seem to have done anything other than make a huge job for me clearing the duplicates:

User uploaded file

Would turning off iTunes Match and turning on again resolve this duplication issue? This is what I'm now seeing in each album:

User uploaded file

Any thoughts now?

Jun 26, 2012 2:03 AM in response to dwb

dwb wrote:

Just changing the library's location in the preferences isn't enough. That just tells iTunes where to put the new songs, it doesn't tell iTunes where are the old songs are. Yes what I told you to do will restore the link to the songs on the external drive. I told you to unchec the option of copyying songs when adding to the library. That will prevent duplicates.

A) I too, have many files and wouldn't want to duplicate so many files, but I did NOT see where dwb wrote to uncheck the option of copying songs when adding to the library, that will prevent duplicates. I read the instruction very carefully over and over as to not make the same mistake:

dwb wrote:

1) start iTunes and select Preferences under the iTunes menu

2) click on the Change button and navigate to the folder on your external drive that has your music. (This tells iTunes where to find your music from now on)

3) Click off the checkmarks on Keep iTunes Organized and Copy files to iTunes (after the next step you'll want to return to the Preferences and click the checkmarks back on

4) Click on the OK button.

5) Go up to the File menu, select Add to Library, navigate to the external hard drive again and click ok. iTunes is now finding all the music on your drive and adding it to the library.

6) When it is finished return to the Preferences and click on the two checkmarks mentioned in step 3.

B) if i'm reading this correctly... I see where the confusion might be? I do understand what dwb really means, however, Technically the instructions actually state to leave a check mark on Keep iTunes Organized and Copy files to iTunes before completing step 5).

If I read this carefully, after step 1 & 2)

Then read step 3)Click off the checkmarks... (and after next step...return to Preferences...)

The next step is 4) Click the Ok button...

So, after step 4) Go back to instructions in parenthesis from step 3)...

(you'll want to return to Preferences and click the checkmarks back on...)? UH?

Meaning do this before step 5)?

Then do step 5),

Then step 6) Returning to Preferences and click the two... in step 3).

Technically checking them back off at this point does seem confusing to me?

Am I reading incorrectly?

C) It seems as though it would explain the cause for his duplications, if he left a check mark in the box for Copy files to iTunes, while iTunes finds all the music on his external hard drive and adds it to the library, the new songs are the same as his old songs, creating the multiples? Or am I misunderstanding? Can you undo the action through Time Machine or iTunes? Or can you delete the iTunes folder in one step and follow the directions again, except this time disregard the instructions in parenthesis in step 3) until step 6) and only leave a check in the 2 boxes in iTunes Preferences after step 5) instead of step 4) is complete, like step 6) intended so to start copying files to iTunes from that point on?

I'm only asking because I need clarification, like I mentioned in A) above. I mean no offense, just incase I do?

I'm about to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mac OS X Lion (10.7.4)

Thanks,

Jenn

Jun 26, 2012 2:15 AM in response to Fookes

I have 3 1/2 days left to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion. How do I prevent what just happened to you with the duplicates? The instructions from dwb weren't clear to me. If you checked the boxes how you were advised, then you would've left checks in the two boxes before itunes searched the drive for all your files. this would most likely cause duplication. The instructions in parenthesis at the end of step 3 are misleading, if you go back and read. Just saying.

Good Luck,

DJ Jenn

Jun 26, 2012 2:59 AM in response to DJ Jenn

Hi DJ Jenn

No, this is not what happened. Those two checkboxes were ALREADY checked. I did as dwb advised and unchecked them before actioning as he suggested.

Therefore, I take your point on misinterpreting what he has written. I agree that it could be read in at least 2 ways which is possibly where the confusion and issues have occurred.

I am now stuck with mass duplication and unsure on what to do next. I really don't want to have to manually go through (what is now) 50,000 songs checking for duplicates!

Help!!!

Jun 26, 2012 4:27 AM in response to Fookes

If you unchecked the Copy files to iTunes Media Folder before you performed Add to Library there shouldn't be any duplicate. Going back to the instructions I gave you I see that there is room for confusion. At the end of step 3 I say you'll click the checkmarks back on after the next step but what I really meant was after step 5 is completed. So maybe you followed my instructions to the letter leading me to mess you up. If so, I'm really sorry.

The good news is that if you use TimeMachine you should have a recent backup of your iTunes library and even if you don't use TimeMachine if you recently downloaded the newest version of iTunes you'll find a folder inside iTunes where iTunes puts a copy of the library while the update is being installed. Make sure iTunes isn't running and then open the iTunes folder which is inside your Music folder. If you use TimeMachine enter TimeMachine and then find the file called iTunes Library.itl select it and restore it. Now you are back to the original. If you don't use TimeMachine look for the folder called Previous iTunes Libraries and open it. Each library inside has a date appended. Find the newest one, erase the date so it is properly named, and move it to the iTunes folder. (Of course if the newest one is really old this may not be an option.)

Jun 27, 2012 5:26 AM in response to Fookes

Ack! My face is red. I woke up this morning and for whatever reason suddenly realized I had given you the wrong information and the worst part of it is I don't know how I managed to be so stupid about it. I knew you had the songs where you wanted them but despite that I gave you the instructions for how to move them to where you wanted them. Dumb! And the worst part of it is it isn't as if I haven't done what you want to do. I did it a couple years ago when I moved from a G5 tower to an iMac.

There are two solutions. The easy one is to delete your iTunes library (while iTunes isn't running) and then to repeat the instructions I gave you. The problem is you'll lose all your playlists, play counts, etc. The harder way will require some work and a text editor - if you want the instructions let me know. You can even start with the library that has the duplicates - the first step would be to delete the dupes.

Again - I'm sorry.

Jun 28, 2012 5:14 AM in response to dwb

dbw,

This is good info to know, It helps me for the future. i just upgraded to Lion and I'm happy so far. The only thing I don't know how to do is mark that your answer helped me? Maybe I should start another dicussion on whether or not I can mark on another's question to give points? I've been unclear on that too.

Thanks for your help, I agree about TM backups, also if he didn't have it checked, then it stands to reason that it may not be duplicated in the real music library in the home folder, if thats the case then erase itunes and repopulate a new one.

good thinking

Jenn

iCloud and iTunes Match Query.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.