Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When is the safe time to buy a Macbook Pro with retina display

Hi,

I saw some issues lately with Macbook Pro with retina display in discussion and it seems the number is increasing. It might be a bad batch. I want to order one and I have to do it online (because of a student discount) and it's going to be hard for returning and swapping.

How long should I wait to have more stable MBPR out there to order one? Or it's not like that and bad batch could happened anytime.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:27 AM

This is the "Emergency Room" of the Apple world. Poeple who are happily using their Retina units are too busy to report that all is well.

The only reason I would not have one "today" is because I would special-order one with 16 GB RAM and it would take extra time.

7 replies

Jun 22, 2012 8:30 AM in response to Maziyar

Many users bought a MacBook Pro with Retina display the first day and have no issues. A lot of forum members here like to bring up that this is like a hospital: people don't come here and say "Hey! Guess what, everyone. I love my new MBPR." People will only come here with technical issues. Just buy one right now. And FYI I'm not positive but I do not think the student discount needs to be used online, you can do it in the store.

Jun 22, 2012 8:30 AM in response to Maziyar

As always, this is like one of those "when is the new model coming out?" threads. Not even a CIA spy can divine when Apple will pop out a new model. Given the date of the new release, it could be one of those one-per-year epochs, like back in 2010 (most years they put out two releases, Spring & Fall).

At least I'd suggest waiting till the new feline shows up sometime next month or so. It will surely trigger a slew of new issues which may in turn persuade a hardware update.

Jun 22, 2012 8:32 AM in response to Maziyar

I agree with steve359. People are here to get help. Certainly there have been a lot more new macbooks sold then you have read here with problems. There are always going to be some with problems. If you purchase your macbook and have a problem apple will fix it. You also have 14 days to return it. I do recommend purchasing apple care. Things can go wrong with electronics and without applecare it would be way to costly to repair.

Jun 22, 2012 9:46 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Thanks for reply guys,

About student discount, I'm currently at Malaysia and there is one store in our University which has student discount and he said he's not going to have retina display in his store anytime soon. So I have to order online which it lets me order from education store easily and btw I want to upgrade the RAM to 16G.

And yes you were right about this place and the numbers of people with problems. I did use 14-day return policy once it was so easy and awesome. Then there is no worry here and I can order mine too.

Thanks again

When is the safe time to buy a Macbook Pro with retina display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.