Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BootCamp or Parallels

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro that my parents got me. One of their reasons is that I could do my homeschool work on it. My problem is that the homeschool software, Switched-On Schoolhouse, requires Windows XP, Vista, or 7. I want to know these things:

1. Which is easier to install?
  2. Which will work better for me? (Performance, switching from OS's, simplicity)
  3. What do I need for each installation? (I don't want both)

Another thing I've read about is that I needed a Mac OS X Lion Driver Disk. I don't have that because Lion came with my Mac already installed, and I don't want to spend a lot of money to get that, Windows 7 Installation Disk, and the Switched-On Schoolhouse Software ($400 dollars I think). Also, how do I backup my files in OS X Lion? I have no other external drives, just the laptop.

Please help,

IAm2nd

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:44 AM

I think Parallels would be best. You don't need any Lion driver disk. There is already a recovery partition on your machine. You definitely need an external drive for Time Machine backups.

4 replies

Jun 22, 2012 11:52 AM in response to IAm2nd

Parallels and Windows 7 works quite well. You can get

Windows Home OEM version for $99 from Newegg.

You do have to chose 32 or 64 bit which I don't

think matters in your case. It has everthing that

comes with Windows you just don't get any Windows

support from Microsoft for it and it can't be used to

upgrade systems.

Parallels is $79.99 and the advantage of this approach

is that WIndows actually runs as an app on the Mac

Desktop, so no dual booting required and windows

driver hassles.

There is a freeware called Virtual Box that is similar to

Parallels but sometimes there can be some compatability

issues, its worth a try if you want to save some money.

BootCamp or Parallels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.