Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Pages/Keynote for S.Leopard work with Lion ??

I have an IMac with Snow Leopard and I use both Pages and Keynote.

I just got a MacBook Air 11 with Lion.

My new MacBook has automatically asked me if I want to Update Pages to Pages 4.1 for Mac Os X Lion ?

My worry ? What if produce a file on my Imac using the earlier Pages version and then load that file on my new Mac Air with Pages 4.1 ??

Will that cause me grief ... and endless hours on the phone to tech support ? Or will it be ok.

Also, what if produce a Pages file on my Mac Air with Pages 4.1 and then load that file to my old Mac with Snow Leopard.

I have not yet installed 4.1. I am waiting for some guidance from fellow Mac folks. Many many thanks.

Don in California

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:29 AM

The documents should open fine no matter which version of PAges 09 you have. You don't need to have version 4.1 on Lion. Version 4.1 will take away the save and save as the way you are used to have it. Read more about it in threads here in this forum. If you want the new Auto save you have to update to 4.1. I wouldn't do that update. 4.0.5 will suffice.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2012 9:29 AM in response to Mr. Seek Help

The documents should open fine no matter which version of PAges 09 you have. You don't need to have version 4.1 on Lion. Version 4.1 will take away the save and save as the way you are used to have it. Read more about it in threads here in this forum. If you want the new Auto save you have to update to 4.1. I wouldn't do that update. 4.0.5 will suffice.

Jun 22, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Many thanks Jerrold.

What mainly worries me is : If I start a Pages or Keynote file (composed I think on an old Pages program, I think '09) on my IMac (with 10.6.8, Snow Lepord) and then transfer it (by thumb-drive or download from burned CD) onto to my new Mac Air (with Lion and if I upgrade my MacAir with the Pages 4.1) will I encounter any problems.

Also, what would happen if I reversed this. Started a Pages or Keynote file on my MacAir with Pages 4.1, then transfered to file to my IMac using Snow Leopord and the older Pages/Keynote program ?

It is not the Pages 4.1 per se that troubles me .. only the compatibility with older program on my I Mac.

Many thanks for your assistance. Don

Jun 22, 2012 11:17 AM in response to Mr. Seek Help

Don,

It would be good practice to change the document title upon each transfer, perhaps with a simple filename addition of a -1a, etc. Going from the old system to the new one is no problem. Do a Save As, modify the name, and open it on the new system.

Going the other direction, you will use File > Duplicate, then you will assign a name change, adding, say, -1b and close the new copy. This duplicated document will be perfectly compatible with the old system.

Where you would get into trouble is if you tried to yank the modified file from the new system before duplicating it and then try to open the in-process document on the old system. While working in the new system, each time you Command-S, you are saving a record of revisions to a system file, but not really updating the base document until you close it, so there could be some confusion.

I have come to like the new system and I don't apologize for that. It is what it is, as they say. If my understanding of the workings of the Autosave and Versions isn't technically correct, I apologize. I don't fully understand how my car works either, but it gets me where I'm going.

Jerry

Jun 22, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Peggy

Many thanks Peggy,

You have answered my question in simple terms that I can understand ("music to my ears").

I will now dowload the 4.1 Pages to my new Mac Air, running Lion. I have Pages 4 (2009).

Do you know if there are similar new downloads for Keynote (this same potential problem ... between files produced on version and then transfered for further work on another computer with another version of Keynote).

Many thanks for trying to answer my Keynote question also.

Best wishes to you in Covington/Lake Morton ... from Walnut Creek, Ca.

Jun 22, 2012 12:17 PM in response to Peggy

Thanks again, Peggy.

If I dowload this I Work 9.1 update to my IMac (running Snow Lepord) and then make Keynote and Pages files that would presumably be executed in the 4.1 version , then does this mean it would make it more compatible with any file that I import from my Mac Air 11 (after downloading the upgrade to 4.1 to my Mac Air 11 which has Lion) ?

I guess another way of phrasing this is like this : what are the crucial distinctions between Snow Lepord and Lion -- only with respect to swapping files back and forth (word documents, Pages and Keynote) and once transferred, then continue to work on the files in both S.Lepord and Lion ?

Thanks again .... Don

Jun 22, 2012 1:38 PM in response to Mr. Seek Help

The version of OS X doesn't change anything. As long as the whole version number of Pages, in this case 4.x, is the same or higher than the version that made the document, you will not have a problem. I could create a Pages 4 document in Pages 4.1 on one of my newer Macs running Snow Leopard or Lion or Mountain Lion (when it comes out) & then open it in Tiger, 10.4.11, on my G5 using Pages 4.0.4 (I think that's the latest version Tiger will run) without problems.

User uploaded file

Will Pages/Keynote for S.Leopard work with Lion ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.