Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G3 Clamshell iBook video issues

Hi,

I recently installed 9.2.2 on my G3 iBook clamshell blueberry 300Mhz, 4MB ATI video.

OpenGl version 1.2.4

Finder 9.2

Active enabler - Mac OS ROM 9.0.1

Quicktime 6.0.3

CarbonLib 1.6

It's running pretty good, but I was thinking about making this an 'oldies' game machine. Here are the problems I am having:

1. The machine won't switch to 640X480 and display correctly. Even if I switch it in the monitor panel, the screen gets all freaky under ALL color settings.

Only 800X600 will display correctly.

2. Does openGL work on this video card? I have installed Shadow Warrior (which runs great), so I installed the 3Dfx version, and if I run it the screen goes black, and a black pointer appears. The only way out of this is to hard shut down. Until I installed MacGlide, I got the error that it couldn't find 3dfxGlideLib2.x

I couldn't find an original 3dfxGlideLib2.x (if there is one), so I figured MacGlide may work. I have tried all versions to no avail. Possibly this is because this is in some sort of wrapper for osX?

3. How do you open these game config files? For Shadow Warrior, for instance, if you try to open the config files, it just boots the game. Is there something like an 'open with' option? I'm REALLY new to apple software, so I'm trying to learn as fast as possible.

I found an older post - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/551454

And I have followed all of the instruction there - so far I have everything listed there as correct.

I can't find a openGL install package for 1.2.4, but these files should be good since they were installed from the 9.2 CD, right?

If anyone can answer ANY of these questions, please let me know!

Thank you!

iBook, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:52 AM

37 replies

Jun 24, 2012 9:09 AM in response to TheRealAnubis

No, you don't have the right software.

I started using iBooks with the 500 MHz G3 Dual USB model, so don't know much about the older ones.

You are talking about an iBook that is at least 12 years old, you know?

And all Macs are finicky about the system software that came with them.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2191

Note that yours would have come with Mac OS 8.6.

We Love Macs says this bundle would work for you:

http://www.welovemacs.com/6912466.html

But I wouldn't bet the farm on it. You may be able to find a used 300 MHz model on eBay with the discs included for that price.

The iBook G4 disc could be a DVD — not even readable by your iBook.

Good luck with it.

Jun 24, 2012 11:30 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Hi,

Thank you for the information. So, you just can't install 9.2 on this? You have to install the original version that came on it and then upgrade from there?

The G4 powermac CD loads, and it allowed me to boot, and install 9.2 when my update from 9.1 to 9.2 crashed and killed the system folder.

I saw some versions of 9.2 at macbooks that said iBook, but for $160+, that's not really an option!

Yes, I know it's old, but hey, I have a 286 with an MFM drive that runs dos 6.2 great, even after all these years, so I figured Mac should be even better, right?

Thanks again!

Jun 24, 2012 11:44 AM in response to TheRealAnubis

Hello,

A iBook G4 System Disk won't work on the iBook Clamshell Bluberry. The maximum OS your iBook will take is 10.3 Panter as 10.4 won't work with any mac that does not have FireWire.

This iBook will only work satirically in 800x600 screen res. if you plug in an external monitor it will just display the native screen resolutions of 800x600. You will struggle to run openGL applications mainly due to the video memory bring so low. I know with the 366 and 466 MHz version with the 8 meg video cards, seem to struggle a bit but that was under Mac OS X 10.4. You're best to install 10.3 with classic OS 9, however your hard drive size maybe too low at 3gb or 6 Gb depending on which configeration it is. I've had trouble locating the original OS X 8.6 or the later 9.1 system disk for my clamshells and have best left them installed with Mac OS X 10.3 retail.

Best of luck

Jun 24, 2012 12:54 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Hi,

Thanks for your input!

The OS on the G4 CD is 9.2, but I'm suspecting that it's missing some drivers for my iBook. When the update crashed (9.1 to 9.2.1), it moved a ton of stuff to the 'temp install' folder, basically killing the OS install that was there (9.1), and even with the boot disk it was still crippled. Since this was the only disk that I could get my hands on, I used it to get booted and attempted to put stuff back where it belonged from 'temp install' to system folder, extensions, etc. There were over 400 files, and it started acting even worse after I put a bunch of them where they were supposed to be.

Since I'm new with Mac (this is my first apple product ever), I didn't want to install 9.2 because when you do that with windows, it wipes everything.

That didn't happen, which is great, but I think that there are things still in that 'temp install' folder that the system needs to work.

On the resolution, I know that 800X600 is the max, but I'm trying to get it to go to 640X480 for some games, but it won't go lower, which I find strange. Even when using the tool in monitors, if you switch it to 640X480, the screen scrambles up and is split up crazy.

On the openGL, it completely locks the system, and for Shadow Warrior at least, the 4MB card should at least display something. Again, I think there are things missing, and I may have to eventually wipe the drive and start over.

So can I use a 9.2 install, or does it have to be 8.6 or 9.1?

I called apple support and waited on hold for 47 minutes, then got disconnected. I'm not sure I'll call again.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Jun 24, 2012 1:35 PM in response to TheRealAnubis

When you update from 9.1 to 9.2 from what I recall it just updates and should not wipe anything, unless you specify a clean install. I am a little confused here as I've not seen a iBook G4 9.2 system disk unless it's the classic environment for mac OS X. If it is the classic environment then it would require mac os x and couldn't update OS 9.1 that maybe install as the OS.

Having further looked at the screen res on my own Clamshell your right about 640 x 480 is an option. Upon change left the screen windows too large for the screen size. That maybe of some use for external displays. If your getting splits then I would suspects its related to the firmware on your iBook. I know there has been firmware updates during the 9.1 and 9.2 updates for these units. you maybe best to check for updates by connecting your clamshell to the Internet and selecting the update options, alternately download from the apple support page. (if updates are still available)

You can use 9.2, but it really does depend on the install disk. Would a retail copy update from 9.1, I know OS X does.

It would be a safe bet to use 9.2 upgrade software than any system disks you may have. Getting hold of a copy may be difficult. There maybe some retail outlet who may still sales copies.

Best of luck

Jun 24, 2012 2:34 PM in response to TheRealAnubis

I believe this would work:

http://www.welovemacs.com/6912684a.html

But, again, the iBook is just not worth it.

Any iBook G3 (Dual USB) (the first all-white iBooks) will boot into OS 9, too, if it's OS 9 you're needing for the older games.

I'd suggest looking on eBay for a machine with the specs you need AND a sale which includes the original OS discs that came with it when it was new.

Jun 24, 2012 4:24 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Hi,

About the disk, the icon on the desktop that pops up when I put the CD in reads "Power Mac G4 Install".

It has:

Late breaking news

Before you install

Install Mac OS 9.2.pdf

Applications (Mac OS 9)

CD Extras

Utilities

Mac OS Install

Software Installers

Install Macintosh Software

System Folder

On my first boot, before it blew up, I did a firmware update that came from the software updater, so hopefully it's the latest one!

I do find it amazing how much these cd's are selling for, considering you can get win95, win98, etc. at the thrift shops for around $1 each. Once it's this far past, apple should either give the old OS away, or charge a reasonable price for it - that way they would make even more money!

I'll see what I can do to track down some used stuff, and maybe that will make this project a little more realistic!

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2012 4:27 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thanks for the link!

At least I know what to look for when I'm at the flea market!

I've been looking at some of the 466 graphite iBooks, since they have 8MB vram and a decently faster processor, but I really do like this blueberry...

Again, I'd still use the 466 for a classic gaming machine, since I played all of these on PC, and even Commodore back in the day. I have quite a few hybrid disks on hand, so I have lots to choose from!

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2012 10:48 AM in response to TheRealAnubis

-> You can buy a graphite 466mhz Clamshell and swap the logicboards with your Blueberry. If you don't need to plug in a firewire cable it is not necessary to cut a hole in the Blueberry bottom housing - only a small part of the top housing where the firewire connector is located so that the case fits perfectly.

The 466mhz came with a DVD drive which is more useful....

G3 Clamshell iBook video issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.